1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

A dog's nose...

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Nutz, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Nutz

Nutz Hot Topics Subscriber

Don't quite know where to plonk this, so here it is....

Think this is just amazing
    Dogs blood vessels in the nose.jpg

• Wow x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

????????? Is this art or science? :confused-alt:

3. Nutz

Hi J

Science the write up is from some university, I'll go look for it again, yesterday I just copied the pic.

4. jazzies mum

I guess this is why Jazz can track down a dead something from a looooooooooooonnnnnggg way off. And why she "reads" me all over when I've been out without her! That far away look in the eyes while she processes all that info. :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nutz

Jazz, had a gander, can't track the blurb down, but it's definately a seince thing, I'll follow up further it was about dogs noses that atrify....

6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

So far science can't duplicate a dogs sense of smell.
    Some breeds are going to have a better sense of smell than others.

Dogs' Dazzling Sense of Smell | NOVA | PBS

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-sense-of-smell.html
    Figure 2: In the rear of a dog's nose lies the olfactory region (yellowish-brown), with its scroll-like tissues bristling with smell receptors. Respiratory regions appear in pink. In us humans, the sense of smell is relegated to a small region on the roof of our nasal cavity, along the main airflow path.

[​IMG]

Figure 1: When a dog breathes in, the air separates into distinct paths, one (red) flowing into the olfactory area and the other (blue) passing through the pharynx (black) to the lungs.
    © Courtesy of Brent Craven

Put another way, dogs can detect some odors in parts per trillion. What does that mean in terms we might understand? Well, in her book Inside of a Dog, Alexandra Horowitz, a dog-cognition researcher at Barnard College, writes that while we might notice if our coffee has had a teaspoon of sugar added to it, a dog could detect a teaspoon of sugar in a million gallons of water, or two Olympic-sized pools worth. Another dog scientist likened their ability to catching a whiff of one rotten apple in two million barrels.

• Wow x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Nutz

Blooming 'ell..........

Scruffy's been bulldusting me all this time..... She CAN smell the scent cloth on scent discrimination, and I DON'T have to keep it in my crotch for 3 weeks prior.....:eekwtf::eekwtf::eekwtf::eekwtf:....:complain:

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I love when I see Buddy stand with his nose high in the air, thinking........then suddenly going! And then I think, Uh oh, LOL

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Looking at this picture it makes you wonder how much damage the ‘gentle leader’ is doing to the snout?!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird New Member

I'm living with a Dutch Shepherd, (not mine, my housemates dog) and watching her go through nosework classes is stunning. She's obviously a natural, and being high drive makes her fast, and it's SO MUCH FUN, for all of us. She just got her NW1. Anyone considering your dobe (or any breed) for nosework should go for it - it's fun, if nothing else and so amazing to learn what they already know.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jazzies mum

Yes! I think that would be a wonderful challenge for a dog. :thumbsup2:

12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm exposed to so many things on the job (including dogs and cats) so it's no wonder our two have to carefully sniff me when I get home. It's like they're saying "Now what have you been doing when you're away? :nono:" LOL
    I can't wait to run across a service monkey to see what they think of that scent. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Are you serious about “service monkey”? Or was that a typo?

14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

LOL, they're a real thing and it was even covered in our training. I don't think you see many but they're out there.

• Wow x 2