A brave Doberman took on a mountain lion and somehow lived to tell the tale.

Gel, thanks for the local update.
I hunted the Marine Corps base Camp Pendleton a couple years. Recall the game warden conducting the mandatory hinter safety class saying they had thirteen (13) on radio collars within the 200 sq miles at one time, this during the wildfire years that pushed them down out of the Cuyamacas, like in Orange County.

Thats about the range of one male/breeding pair, normally. The deer population on the base has declined quite a bit, also due habitat loss by fire and drought. Multiple Dry years take a toll.
Last time I talked to the head biologist they were down to 2-4 collars tracked thru the base. So the cats died out or moved on. They are very mobile as you know.

In the end its about habitat loss due to encroachment and fragmentation of natural land by housing development.
I doubt there’s much to hunt in Pendleton these days, lol.
They have been making big giant booms for better part of a year.
I’m at least 60 miles, probably closer to 70, on the other side of that mountain range and I can hear them here!
I asked on another forum who was hearing the big booms last year.
I was skeptical it was from the base?
Figured maybe sonic booms from March AFB, about 10 miles East of here.

A few folks closer to base all confirmed I was indeed, hearing Marines.
I try not to link to other privately owned websites here, but I can send you a link if you like.
I was fairly blown away that’s what it was.

Figured maybe sonic booms from March AFB, about 10 miles East of here.
Are sonic booms still legal in CA? We used to hear them quite often from the AF base in Mn but they made them start staying under that speed.

Are sonic booms still legal in CA? We used to hear them quite often from the AF base in Mn but they made them start staying under that speed.
The Air Force are Feds, so they can tell California 🖕😂

Generally speaking they don’t do it often, hardly ever.
Some folks windows have been altered on occasion so they eased up.

Now, on a genuine high alert situation they are wheels up and making noise in a hurry🇺🇸

It’s sort of a double edged sword living close to a base.
On one hand, it’s cool to sometimes see some cool, bad ass 🇺🇸 Hardware up there.

On the other hand, if there’s a real Nuclear conflict? 🤨
At least it will be over quick.👍

You're probably hearing the artillery firing as part of their deployment workup. The big 155mm can be heard a long ways away if atmospheric conditions are right. The only aviation on base is helos and Ospreys.

The wildlife on base is well adapted to the noise, including the deer. The biggest problem is the songdogs and hawks eating the endangered least terns on the beach...There is even a small herd of bison still protected there, which is a weird story.

Speaking of cougar attacks:

Back