Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

A brave Doberman took on a mountain lion and somehow lived to tell the tale.

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Jun 27, 2016.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

Now that's one lucky dog! Doberman battles mountain lion in bloody scrape but somehow manages to survive the attack
    • A mountain lion attacked a Doberman on a patio in California
    • The attack lasted two minutes sending blood across the concrete deck
    • Somehow the dog manages to survive the brutal attack and lives to see another day
    By KALHAN ROSENBLATT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 15:02 EST, 5 March 2016 | UPDATED: 10:40 EST, 6 March 2016

A brave Doberman took on a mountain lion and somehow lived to tell the tale.
    Incredible CCTV footage captured the entire bloody encounter, which shows a ferocious mountain lion looking for a fight approaching the dog.
    The Doberman is chained to a house in California when the big cat approaches it.
    Moment a mountain lion takes on a Doberman in a back yard
    If you dont want to watch the video here is the script...

In the video the mountain lion slinks on to the patio looks to start a fight with anything that crosses its path..
    dobermanvsmtlion.png

As soon as it encounters the dog the mountain lion pounces, wrapping its claws around the Doberman..

The pair struggle for more than a minute sending blood spewing across the concrete patio
    In an instant the cat has the canine in its grasp and bites down on its neck.

Using it's claws to scrape out the dog, the mountain lion sends blood spurting across the concrete patio.

The dog becomes more and more still as the video progresses and it seems as though the cat has ended the canine.

But, suddenly, the mountain lion lunges away and the dog gets up and looks around stunned but alive.
    [​IMG]

The amazing footage was taken in Tujunga, California, last year.

Read more: Video: Doberman survives mountain lion attack

2. FredC

FredC Guest

Oh lordy that was rough, it was all i could do to not somehow jump through my computer screen and save the dog.. Damn Chains..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You said it all right there. Ugh, that poor chained dog was lucky.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, I think someone must've showed up. You can see the lion glance the way it came then spooked as soon as it saw whatever it was. That dog is damn lucky. So unfortunate he's living outside most likely...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FredC

FredC Guest

Crazy we can watch this stuff all day long on Wild Kingdom, National Geographic, Etc, Etc and understand thats just a part of the cycle of life.. but when it's Man's best friend and not some wild Gazelle or whatever oh holy hell.. And then you realize the Dog is on a chain and its all you can do to not choke up at least a little.. Inside my head i was screaming" WTF!!! WHERE IS THE OWNER? SOMEONE SAVE THAT DOBERMAN!!!"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

That was rough to watch knowing the dog was tied down.
    I'm not a fan of tying off a dog and leaving it.
    While you are out in the yard and need to keep it from roaming over a project or trampling your wet concrete..something like that,I see no problem.

I wonder if the owner still chains it up outside after watching that?
    I have to hope the incident made the owner change things somehow?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

That was brutal....now I'm pissed...Poor dog, not a fair advantage at all, but a good dog to spring up right after that brutality! Screw that owner. I'm not soft about dogs usually, but chaining and leaving is not acceptable to me. UGH!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh, that was hard to watch! And the only reason I did, was because the dog lived! But, omg, watching that cat claw at his belly was heartbreaking and then the silence with his fangs in his neck! It certainly looked like he was doomed.

I thought I saw the camera move and I thought someone was actually holding a camera and I was thinking, "COME ON! Get your dog!" When he got up I didn't realize he was chained until you guys said it! That's awful! Poor guy. He looked stunned and I'm sure will be scarred, both inside and outside, for life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Omg ! That was incredibly hard to watch ! Good dog for taking on the cat and jumping into action ! I can't believe he was chained up, attack by a huge and incredibly skilled cat, and got up and lived ! Poor baby :( I don't know why he would be chained outside in a hard that's pretty pointless if you ask me but at least he lived. It was still very heartbreaking :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FredC

FredC Guest

I believe someone filmed the CCTV footage and that's why there was camera shake.. I was actually thinking the same thing until i noticed a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FredC

FredC Guest

agreed. I understand that chaining is not terribly inhumane and its the law in many cases however that's where it ends... Where was the owner and who leaves a Doberman on a noose when there is no one around to supervise him?? I was sickened and that clip got me to rethink chains as a means of containment, Just like my distrust of invisible fences.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Still deciding if I want to watch this. One good reason to own a gun if you live in an area with cougars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Something spooked the lion. That dog was doomed with the grip on its neck. I'm not sure if the chain played a part in this attack or not. The dobe was still unable to escape the walled yard and was clearly stalked and caught by surprise. It looked like the only thing that saved the dobe was its weight. If it had been a lighter dog, the chain might have saved its life in this situation. The lion tried to carry the dog off after being spooked, but the dog was too heavy to be carried up over the wall. A chain on a lighter dog would have prevented the lion from running off with it too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  14. FredC

FredC Guest

The video is low res, black and white and barely distinguishable yet still quite horrific. Your mind just naturally takes you places the video isn't distinguishable enough to completely make out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FredC

FredC Guest

Now you have me half tempted to watch it for a second time to see if I can see it from your description . But I think I'll pass for now, once today was enough for me.

16. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't blame you. It's so brutal. I'm by no means for chaining dogs and don't practice it myself, but in this case I think a chain might have saved a lighter dog if it wasn't dead already and could be carried off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm fairly glad it was low res,hi res would have made it over the top.
    Call me a wussie I guess.
    I know this is what lions do,they need to eat like every other animal.
    It's just a bit of a harsh reality.

The other reality,many of us here on this forum have the possibility of a lion taking our animals,along with a few other critters out there.I know we have them here.
    Only takes a few moments.
    My only comfort,there's two dogs here.Im thinking two would at least fend one off without as much damage as this one dog got?
    Team work;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. FredC

FredC Guest

Oh if it was in color I probably wouldn't have been able to watch the whole thing.

I can't help but wonder where the owner was and how long the Doberman was bleeding out before he was discovered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You could be right. The first time I watched it (yes I watched it a few times) I didn't catch that it was on a chain or anything for that matter. I wonder what the hell was on his neck when the cougar left. I thought there was something coming out of his neck! lol But it turned out that it was the chain. That's how bad the resolution was.

I also wondered when he started to take off, why or if he dropped the dog. Now I'm wondering if you are right and he was trying to take him but the chain (and the dogs weight I'm sure) stopped him.

Aside from just horrible to watch the struggle, I thought it was almost worse (ALMOST. What is worse than being in the grips of a cougar? :wideyed: ) was watching him look around once the cat was gone. Terrified, in shock and like @FredC said, I wondered how long the poor thing sat out there until someone could tend to his wounds and frightened state of mind. I just wanted to hold onto him, tight! :(

There should be a follow up story so we can see how he's doing! And I'd like to know what part of CA this is. Was it up in the mountains or right in a neighborhood?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:woot2:....and people wonder why I don't let Drake out by himself.

Drake has only been chained up once. The first time we took him camping on the river. He was about 7-8 months old and we weren't sure how it would go since it was a first for him.

...He did great BTW!

• Like Like x 2