Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

A 3rd

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by johnfin, Oct 26, 2019.

1. johnfin

johnfin Jr Member

Someone wants to give me a dobbie female puppy but want to know how that would work out with my other 2 female 1 yr old dobbies. Am I asking for total trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Based on those basic facts presented, I would say yes you are asking for trouble.

That said, I do wonder on this topic: We hear about same-sex aggression (SSA) and how severe the fights can be; yet there are many examples of a handful of dogs being kept together – multiple of them being same sex – and you don't see severe injuries or deaths. It's like with any pack of animals, they work out the pecking order. Is the difference that when we are talking about beloved family pets they are spending most of the time in the house and things are thus more tense and complicated? Just food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life Member

Little different of a situation but long story short...

We originally got Zeus(m) and Moxy(f) (litter mates) at the beginning. Moxy became overly aggressive! To a point where she was actively seeking Zeus out to attack him. We ended up giving her to a close friend that was looking for a dobe. Zeus and Pirate (our male rescue) became very good buddies and Zeus learned a lot from Pirate.

Fast forward a year or so and my buddy stopped caring for Moxy and I went and "rescued" her back, as she was not going to the pound. However, now with 3 dogs again... IT IS SOOOOOOOO CHAOTIC!!!!! I also have 3 young boys in the home as well 12, 10, 5....so just more food for thought! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think you're asking for trouble. LOL Your 2 girls are just 'coming of age' when trouble may start. I say may, because there are those rare situations where they all get along. I've been on this board for 10 years and have seen a lot. I've seen situations start out good and then end badly. I've seen many members have to Crate and Rotate for the rest of the dogs life. That's a long time of having to be cautious. That may not be an issue for some people. They just do it and live with it. It's just something I don't want to do. I also don't want to 'try' something and have it end up where I either have to consider surrendering a dog or living in Mayhem. I don't want to do either of those. I'm just not a risk-taker. Some people are. I'm also about 10 years older than you, so I'm not up to dealing with that kind of issue. Again, maybe you are. Only you can decide that. But just know what you're getting yourself into. You've already raised two that were siblings. That's difficult in itself. If you've done well with that, you may do well with three. But I've heard a lot on this board about female aggression and how dangerous it can be. Some will fight to the death. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

I think you would have your hands full with three females. It may start fights even with your first two with maternal extinct. I do know it can work, or not. Totally depends on all personalities. Definetly would have to have three cages. It is totally up to you,only you know your dogs. With whatever you decide, good thoughts go with you.

6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that it has worked for some and for others it doesn't work at all; it just depends on the dogs. As stated, keeping them separated all of the time is a very good possibility and a chance I wouldn't want to take.

I think Della would get along pretty well with another female as long as she met her as a pup since she has such a strong "mommy instinct". My good friend has a female Doberman and Della took her under her wing right away and the friends dog still looks up to her, even though she's about 3 years old now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. johnfin

johnfin Jr Member

Didnt do the 3rd, bad idea, no need to stress dogs out. 2 females is bad enough.

• Like Like x 4