Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

6 week old puppies - mother hit by car and died

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by LAF2018, Sep 16, 2018.

1. LAF2018

LAF2018 New Member

I am supposed to be getting a doberman puppy in about 2 weeks. The mother got hit by a car and died when the puppies were 5 weeks and 5 days old. I was just wondering if there is any reason to not want the puppy anymore since they no longer have a mother. I know mothers and litter mates help the puppy learn valuable lessons, but is being with just his litter mates for the next couple of weeks without the mother enough? Has he had enough of a chance to learn from his mother what he needed to learn? Any tips, information or opinions would be welcome!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh poor mom and pups! :( As long as your pup still has the litter mates and owners around to interact with it shouldn't be a problem, as long as the owners are responsible breeders and work with them.

Some breeders wean the pups by the time the're 5 weeks so the pups shouldn't be lacking anything in that respect.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. LAF2018

LAF2018 New Member

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I have been so excited about this puppy, but when the mama died it made me nervous about how it might affect him. I know he will be with his litter mates until the new owners start to pick them up at 8 weeks old.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh, that is so sad! I’m so sorry to hear this :(

As long as the orphaned pups are successfully reared I shouldn’t see a problem. I agree with Jan, the breeders need to make a real effort raising the pups in the absence of the mother. It WILL be time consuming but responsible breeders will do what to takes to give them the very best.

• Agree Agree x 1