Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

6 month is still pulling when walking

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by KitCap, Feb 3, 2020.

1. KitCap

KitCap New Member

My 6 month male is still pulling quite a bit. We have the harness leash but he still pulls especially if he see another dog. What other leash/collar can I use to help with this?

2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

A prong collar will solve pulling, and despite the looks, it is much kinder than a choke chain. Harnesses are made to pull something (think sled dogs) without discomfort, and can actually encourage dogs to pull. With his pulling habit I don't think a flat collar would change anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

What training have you done? Teach leash pressure?

4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Not to steal this thread, but my Asha is totally insensitive to leash pressure with a flat collar, and like @KitCap, it is especially when she has distractions. My puppy class teacher says just let her pull, turn the other way and the instant she gives slack start walking again. I've been trying that method and Asha does eventually get bored and will come around, but one time she just laid down and started chewing a stick, still leaning into the leash. She has very little touch sensitivity. It's really frustrating as only flat collars or harnesses are allowed in this class and for a CGC. :pullhair: I'd love learn if there's a better way to teach puppies leash pressure without the prong!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Harnesses encourage pulling. You need to go back to basics and teach a good heel and a watch me command. Also, don’t encourage the behavior as doing so feeds the behavior. When your dog starts pulling about face and turn around and start walking the other way or stop dead. They will soon learn that pulling equals NO walk and NO fun and will stop. At six months he is challenging his boundaries so you need to set them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Is she a Doberman? Is she breathing and able to walk? If yes, then she is going to pull.

Okay, I'm having a little fun there, but: Don't expect her to outgrow pulling. It's not something they grow out of. It takes training. A harness makes it easier to pull. A properly utilized, and properly fitted prong collar can help.