Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

6,5 months, keeps pissing in his crate

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by DN2017, May 18, 2018.

1. DN2017

DN2017 Member

Hi guys,

So I'm about fed up with Ace still pissing in his f*cking crate (excuse the language). I'm bathing him 3 times a week because of this. We both work so he has to be crated during the day. This is the overall schedule (sometimes fluctuates)
    1. 06:00 or 07:00 He gets to pee, eat and poop (in that order), played with for 5 minutes and then goes back in the crate (its often still dark bij then)
    2. 08:00 or 09:00 or 10:00, depends on how late hubby begins work. He gets to go outside to pee and he's out of the crate for 45 minutes as my partner is a slow breakfast eater.
    3. 12:00/13:00 he's out of the crate and outside for an hour so he gets to pee
    4. 15:30 I'm back home and he drinks and eats again

So on a bad-timing-day he's in the crate for 4,5 hours on end, max.

When we put him in his crate he's silent and goes to sleep after a minute or two, every time. Even when we have a day off he's very lazy in the house and sleeping a lot until around15:30 because that's what he's used to now.

He often pees between the second and third period, sometimes between the third period and me coming home. There are days when he's in the crate for 6 hours on end and all is just fine (not often), and sometimes he pees after an hour already.

Also, we limited his water intake because he never stops drinking. So he's allowed to drink whenever he eats (3 times a day). If I let him drink more often, the peeing is out-of-control. With the limited drinking he's still peeing about 7-12 times a day.

He's physically fine, no blatter problems according to the vet.

What is this? Is it for attention? Is it because he's alone? Why are there sometimes 5 days on end where he's doing fine and sometimes he pees in his crate twice in one day? Should I limit the water intake to the afternoon and the evening when he eats maybe (so no morning-drinking anymore? That can't be good for him?!)? Should I stop letting him out so often so he builds up a tolerance?

i'm used to dogs having unlimited water access but he can't handle that... He has two towels in his crate by the way, if they're in there or not doesn't make a difference. His environmental situation is also always the same during the day (blinds and curtains closed so quite dark, that's when he's the calmest).

Sorry for the weird sentences here and there, English is not my native language.

Hopefully someone has a magic idea...

2. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Is his crate too big? It shouldn't be big enough for him to pee in one spot and lay in another.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Hrm, sounds like he's comfortable being in his crate... Is there any stimuli he can see from inside his crate? Loud noises outside (garbage truck, school bus, anything on a schedule)? A cat walking around in the house? something that could him riled up and cause an excited piddle or something? Does he have accidents in the house or JUST in the crate?

We have crate covers for our pups but they only get closed at night; otherwise they're open and the blinds in the room are open so they aren't in the dark all day. Our puppy is 2.5 months and can go 4 hours without an accident in his crate so very odd...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Your English is just fine.

My crate came with a sectional piece that could be adjusted to ones desire.

Initially, I just gave Ragnar just enough space to lay down. Then when potty trained, I opened it up for his enjoyment of space.

I know y’all work and it’ll be hard to do but I think I would go back to basics again. Try to be there to take him out when he is peeing in crate. You could start on this and emphasize pottying this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

A lot of people worry about the water intake. I say they're very self regulating. Our strategy was to control water intake from the very beginning. You can try removing his water bowl an hour earlier everyday. If it was me I'd just fully remove his water bowl by 5 pm with no adjustment period. He won't dehydrate - if you're at work and he's crated, he is probably just sleeping - he's not outdoors, it's not hot inside, he'll be fine.

He may just be triggered by the smell of his previous pee spots. Water is not enough to clean it. The crate needs to be cleaned with enzyme cleaner. I have recently learned that even plain vinegar works.

Another note: Dobes are nervous drinkers. Not saying yours is nervous around you, but it may be one of the things they are OCD about. Maybe there is a pattern in his mind. I expect that he would grow out of this. Kaiser did. It may just be a young pup thing.

6. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

Our ace is not door shut kenneled during the day. He has a whole room with a kennel in it and he sleeps in his kennel we feed water and potty every morning before work. I ajusted my morning to give him an hour of him and me time before i leave for work outside ( in the dark ) we throw ball and run around enough to empty the bladder. He is given a dish of crushed ice when i leave for work not water. When we get home at night somedays there is water in his dish somedays not but the extra hour in the morning for him has helped keep him calm during the day and only time he ever peed or poohed in his room was about a week ago but he was also sick and throwing up too. Hes a little garbage can and eats everything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

A free range Doberman puppy?! :screamcat:

8. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

Not complete full range he has his own room very puppy proof nanny cams and door came off his kennel only a month ago. Plenty of toys windows he can see out has an alexa that plays music for him . Not fair to kennel him for a solid 8-9 hours a day . He has a puppy walker that comes once a day ( my daughter and grandkids ) for a little outdoor stomp. Belive me hes a naughty doberteen when im home but seems very well behaved while we are away.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

This is the part I would be worried about. I never let my pup have toys unsupervised, for some reason they like to chew them up AND swallow them. :facepalm::pullhair::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My boy peed his crate for months on end. Also pooped his crate, but this cleared up a while before the peeing problem. He has separation anxiety, but that does not sound like what you have going on.

A urinary tract infection?