1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

4 year old female michigan

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by zoorox, Nov 25, 2009.

1. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

they dont want her back............I called them and told them what was happening. they dont want her ......

ya know this is the crap of rescue work. and I feel so bad for jade and arda.........we tried. it is not always about saving one dog..........although it hurts so bad. who knows what jade would do in a new home. she is not ready for adoption........and whos to say she would ever be. she is 4 years old and has big issues.......rescues can only take in so many dogs....I am sitting here thinking of all the sweet dogs who get put down everyday. for no fault of there own.

I think of jade and how fearfull she is of strangers......she suffers with that fear. it is not physical pain......but real mental pain.maybe she could ajust with arda........but she would go through it all again in a new home.......I am putting my faith into a lifetime of rescue.belive me I am sitting her knowing my car is in the drive.......in a hour I could be there! traveling the ice covered roads with my 2 children to go get jade.

but my heart is bigger then my brain.......I am trying to put everyones best intrest in m thoughts......including jade......and all the other unwated pets in this world.yes I believe I could train her! I believe I could help her overcome some of her issues.but I need to think of m other responsibilities too.......my own children and my other pets.so ya I could have maybe helped her if my home wasnt already full. but either way jade will be a hard to place dog who may never be trust worthy. im so sad and confused.......

• Like Like x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I hear you, loud and clear....It's a harsh reality. And sad. I know it is so hard with so many unwanted pets out there. We WANT to save them all...it's just not possible. This one strikes you hard because you had her for a time; a connection was felt, making it that much sadder when there is no happy ending. I, too, feel like I can save the world, I can help any dog overcome whatever problems it may have!...but only in my heart. If there were no other obstacles, no other responsibilities, all the money in the world, I could do it! But in reality, even if that ALL were true, eventually, we would end up in the same boat. We would end up short on time, room and cash because we tried to help them all. Right? It's a sad reality. I don't even want to think of all the pets pts because of no fault of their own. And really, for me, it's like trying to catch water pouring in from a hole in the roof with a bucket....it will never cease until you fix the roof. Unwanted puppies (kittens, etc) will never stop until people get responsible. I believe it's working, just not fast enough. The word is out there, people are exposed more to the plight of unwanted animals through the media and more help is available for speutering. But there's still so many folks out there that still have that old fashion thinking of 'Fluffy needs a litter.' They don't think beyond their own dog to the many pups that she produces and they produce. It they'd think about that one commercial years ago (I forget the product! lol) but it goes, They told two friends, and they told two friends, and they told two friends and so on and so on.....If you think beyond 'Fluffy', and look at the bigger picture, animals might have a chance.

I thought the original owners wanted her back, my mistake. I'm sure this is still sad for them. And I'm sorry for the heartache this has caused you. We all feel it with you. Hugs. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

They are unwilling to take her back.
    This is really a sad situation,I think the whole thing boils down to something as simple as Arda not catching that Jade had bitten a child.That puts her orginisation at risk of legal liability if Jade where to ever bite anyone again after being in her care.Also hospitals are required to report any dog bite and that potentially brings child services into the picture if Jade were to bite one of Ingrids children.We should keep in mind that with the overcrowded situation in rescues because of the economy,there are other dobes with better temperments waiting for the spot at Arda's that Jade has.I wouldn't and couldn't make the tough choices she has to make but she has to do what's best for the most dogs.I also would have to trust her judgment on evaluating a dobe because of her experience.
    My heart goes out to Ingrid,you shouldn't feel responsible at all,you did more than could be expected!! I can tell you're a softhearted person and unfortunately that opens you up to painfull things like this.I'm very sorry!! Thank you for trying!!!,Don

• Like Like x 2
  4. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

thank you.........because I feel like crap! I feel like I betrayed jade......but after talking with arda this morning I really feel the need to trust in her choice. I just cant do anymore.....I cant have jade here with my children and cats and husband for the long term it would take to really work with her. I would be a fool to think it would work. it wont work with me and my life at this moment. but ya know everything happens for a reason.......and instead of putting my focus on what cant be done for jade.......I am going to attempt to picture all the others who are ready to find a home. my heart will always think of jade......

• Like Like x 1
  5. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Please don't take this the wrong way Zoo. I just can't help but think that if the original owner had been the one placing Jade in rescue she might have had second thoughts after being told by Arda that she would be put down. I know your heart is bigger than than what you can honestly take on. And I know this hurts right now. I'm really sorry this had to happen. Maybe next time you might want to just pass on the rescue information to whomever contacts you with these special cases instead of putting yourself in the middle of something like this. Apollo's right. No one, single woman, or who ever, could or should take on an unreliable dobe. You found that out the hard way yourself. Even a single woman would have had issues with Jade. No one lives entirely alone. If she would attack your cats, she would attack someone elses. If she would go after your kids, she would go after someone elses, or visitors with children. Plain and simple. You know form your brief experience with her that this is a very real possibility. Next time just ask yourself before taking one one of these dobes; if no one wants this one, am I prepared financially and otherwise to commit to this animal forever. If the answer is no then you should pass on the situation. You can't save the world. You have to think of the long term consequences. I really do care about your Zoo. I know you tried.

• Like Like x 2
  6. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

I would have passed on the information had the owners had the ability and time to get the dog to a rescue. I did not know jade had these aggression issues when they brought her to me. I learned quick! that jade had troubles....but I stood firm and tried to find a rescue to work with her. I did not have any intention of keeping jade for my own. I just wanted to get her into a rescue. I know I cant keep them all.......that is why jade is where she is. I can and will keep my eyes open for others in need. and am willing to take them in temporary to place them with a rescue. I just cant keep them myself. but I think I did ok by jade. in a different moment in my life I could have done more.......but as it stands right now this was all I could do to try to help her. and it was more then most people would have done for her. as long as I feel and know in my heart I did all I could do.......I can go on and live with my choices.

but just because I was unable to help jade does not= not being able to help a dog with less problems.I cant save them all........but I sure can help save some

• Like Like x 2
  7. MLR

MLR Novitiate

8. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

yes......I wrote that......I had hopes for the best outcome. ever hear of wishfull thinking. I know I cant keep her! I would if I could figure out a way to do it safely......but there is no safe way. I could get her back......yes......but then what. I thought her issues could be worked with. but I also am not foolish enough to think that the dog would ever be really trustworthy with others outside of her owner knowing how she is now.......when I took her in I was told how wonderful of a dog she was! so ya.....im a fool to think some people might just be telling the truth and the nip was somehow brought on......by whatever excuse I can think of to defend her behavior. but when people who have done rescue for 30-40 years tell me the dog is in true fear...........and they dont see it ever being a trusted pet.....if I toss my head in ignorance and take her into my home with my children and pets...........whos the stupid one? I really wanted to take jade back.........and ment what I wrote......but I know more now...and KNOWING WHAT i KNOW......I have done all I can do.jade needs much more work then I have time to give her.

I thought I could help........and really I probably did in some ways. she got a chance at another try.....a chance to trust. she just is so fearfull she may never come out of it. so ya its my fault..........blame me.....I honestly know in my heart I did all I can do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I don't blame you Zoo. I feel for you in this situation. I just hope it doesn't happen again. I hope that the next rescue is a nice gentle dobe. One that someone will want. It really is too bad that it happened. I think everyone whose followed this thread is just plain in shock and grieving right along with you. It's hard to hear about this kind of ending. That's all I was saying. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I care about you very much. I hope you know that.

10. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

I get angry.......I am not a people person to start with.I never have been. I get so pissed off knowing that millions of animals die every single day.I always say kids and animals get the worst of whatever comes around. they are so trusting and look to us to protect them.I do my very best to help in anyway I can. I did not know rox was going to need another surgery......I just cant help with jade right now.......not so sure anyone can.it is awfull sad......but just as some children grow up to untrustworthy adults.........some dogs do to.

I could have taken jade back and kept her locked in my kennel.....took out for training and then back to the kennel for the safety of my household. but that is not fair to jade either.I am not fool enough to believe every dog who goes into rescue will get a home. atleast if the choice to have her put down is made with her best interest at heart......there can be kindness in that choice. I am working through my sadness and grief over this situation.......I am mad at so many different angles. but animals pay the price of humans everyday. jade is special to me because I got the chance to be a part of her life for a short time.

MLR........you told me once that some people never really change. you can give them everything to be a good upstanding person........but they are what they are. jade is unstable.it is sad and hard to take..........but I do believe it is the truth. whatever the reason for her fear.....it is there...and deep.

I didnt sleep well last night and I think I need a nap.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

Poor Jade, I do feel sad for her that it didn't work out with Arda, but I feel even worse for you! You get your heart broken and all you were doing was trying to help! But in reality I guess you just have to trust Arda and all her rescue and doberman experience, and you really can't save them all. You mustn't dwell on the ones you can't save if it stops you from saving the 100's you could save!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

totally agree with that.
    Hang in there Zoo and think of all the one, you can safe.
    nothing happens without a reason, no matter how hard it might seems, but it might be for the best.
    sending big hugs your way

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dobiegirl

Dobiegirl Novitiate

I too could not sleep last nite over this:( I've pondered all day on weather or not I would post about this as I have a great deal of anger towards all that are involved with tragic story:mad:

For my own peace of mind I will say some but will have to keep allot to myself for I know too much about one of the people involved in this....... let me start by saying the people who owned Jade should be ashamed of them self's and I wonder how they slept last nite knowing :mad: that poor Jade was being given a death sentence!!!!! Why oh why do people not take responsibility when they purchase a dog....when they adopt a child and it bites another or disrupts their home do they put it down or get rid of it:confused: Same difference as far as I'm concerned!!!!! Ya'll can dispute that till cow's fly and I will stick to wut I believe!!!! They should have been made to hold her while it was being done.....ya sounds cold but I really don't give a damn about those people, I hope they never ever get another animal they certainly do not deserve one, they made Jade that way!!!!! There are NO BAD DOGS....JUST BAD PEOPLE.......Wut all of a sudden this dog is bad, something is not sitting right with me on this:confused:

Ingrid I don't know wut to say to you, part of me is angry with you part of me feels sad for you. You really should not have taken her in when you knew she had not been socialized around other kids or dogs....she needed to be taken to a place that would take care of her, teach her right from wrong, love her for the perfect girl she COULD have been...she needed to be in foster with one on one, not thrown into a crate, thrown in with other dobies.....can you imagine....just think....here she is all her life been with these people just her, probably in a warm house....now look where she went....OMG Poor thing......No love loss here for where and whom she was with in the end....the first thing this person wanted to do when my Logan bit my husband was put him down cuz he was now ruined!!!! Don't put this person so high on the pedestal she is not that perfect!!! Logan turned out just fine, took some work and once we stopped doing wut I had been told by her group everything was fine...I've said nothing here I would not say or have not already said to this person so don't blast me Ingrid, this is JMO of her and I have that right, I just feel in my heart that had she been placed someplace else knowing wut I do know she would have made it.....

I hope and pray that Jade is running free now, she is now in a better place than where she was......

• Like Like x 5
  14. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

I find this very disheartening....Logan seems like such a sweet dog.....I hate to think that with the right people Jade could have been the same, instead of being put down:(

• Like Like x 2
  15. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

this dog was not safe enough to put into a foster home.......none of them wanted her. I could have left her........but I can tell you in a pound she would never have been put up for adoption. this way she atleast had a chance....

• Like Like x 1
  16. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

im feeling much better today..........

• Like Like x 1
  17. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

Good to hear that you are feeling better today :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Ingrid - I have ben keeping up with this thread and I just want you to know that I applaud you for even giving this sweet girl a chance, coming from a mother and a pet owner, I would not have had her in my house knowing she had even remotely put her teeth on any child, I KNOW that this is the owners fault, poor jade never got the proper socilaization and never had a fair fighting chance to prove what a great Dober girl she could be, and that is what makes me angry and then they just don't want her back because they can't handle the situation, please, wtFever. Anywayz, I am glad to hear that you are feeling better, please, please do not beat yourself up over this, you did help her, you gave her a second chance and that is all you could have done. :bighug:

• Like Like x 3
  19. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

thank you :)........it really did break my heart. but there was another part of me.......that thinks she really might never be safe. so I understand why rescues dont take this sort of dog. big bite little bite.......doesnt really matter..........there are so many sweet no bite dogs. like my chance and atlas.......who where on death row.

and tye.......I thought of you yesterday. I parked in a parking lot next to a car with a cropped pit......he had a real chop job on his ears but was a handsome fellow! anyhow....this itty bitty old woman got into the car. she turned and sat there sweet talking that pitbull dog.......all I could do was smile. and I thought of you and your babies

• Like Like x 1
  20. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

lol Ingrid, I can gurantee you that dog would have laid down his life for that little old lady, awww makes me melt, and girl keep your head up, like I said you did an awesome thing and at least Jade got a second chance that she might not have had without you. Hugs and happy New Year

• Like Like x 1