3 days post crop, still bleeding help!

Dobies4Dayz

Novitiate
Hey guys my 13 week old boy just got his ears done . I am slightly concerned because his left ear is still bleeding alot and just doesn't look great! No smell or ooze he is on antibiotics since he left the vet, I am just worried. Also he is doing ALOT of head shaking and trying to scratch! I have him separated from my 9 month old dobie ( they play rough) but he is still finding ways to hurt himself....am I just being overprotective or is should I be doing something ? Also is there anything I should be putting on the busted side? I was told to take the outer tape off today and that's when I saw the bleeding.

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_151949.jpg
    IMG_20210905_151949.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210905_152109.jpg
    IMG_20210905_152109.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 8

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
Do you have a picture of the ear that's bleeding?

Unfortunately playing with his house mate isn't a good thing.

Did they do blood work before the crop? Do you know his vWD status (or both parents)?

Tropicalbri's

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Hey guys my 13 week old boy just got his ears done . I am slightly concerned because his left ear is still bleeding alot and just doesn't look great! No smell or ooze he is on antibiotics since he left the vet, I am just worried. Also he is doing ALOT of head shaking and trying to scratch! I have him separated from my 9 month old dobie ( they play rough) but he is still finding ways to hurt himself....am I just being overprotective or is should I be doing something ? Also is there anything I should be putting on the busted side? I was told to take the outer tape off today and that's when I saw the bleeding.
Was he given a PT PTT test prior to surgery?
He may have a mild bleeding disorder.
Has he had any testing done for vWD or other bleeding diseases?

I would speak to the Vet and ask him if there was abnormal bleeding during the crop procedure.

My boy bled significantly after his crop. Took several days to get a handle on it.
He was tested for all bleeding disorders prior to sx and all came back negative.

I would put a cone on him so he can’t bang his ears on anything or use his paw to scratch the ears.
leave it on until the ears stop bleeding and start to heal.
Don’t remove any scabs, let them fall off naturally.
Also do not use any h2o2 to clean ears and no ointment of any kind on the ears.

Dobies4Dayz

Novitiate
Do you have a picture of the ear that's bleeding?

Unfortunately playing with his house mate isn't a good thing.

Did they do blood work before the crop? Do you know his vWD status (or both parents)?
Hi, and thank you for the response! Both of his parents are normal for vwd , and his pre surgery blood work was fine! Today he is much better no more bleeding just alot of head shaking (day 4) I have him separated almost completely from his big sister. I will insert a pic for you the other side looks fine it's just this one side. I did put baby socks on his back paws to try to stop the scratching

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_112512.jpg
    IMG_20210906_112512.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210906_112442.jpg
    IMG_20210906_112442.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 7

Dobies4Dayz

Novitiate
Was he given a PT PTT test prior to surgery?
He may have a mild bleeding disorder.
Has he had any testing done for vWD or other bleeding diseases?

I would speak to the Vet and ask him if there was abnormal bleeding during the crop procedure.

My boy bled significantly after his crop. Took several days to get a handle on it.
He was tested for all bleeding disorders prior to sx and all came back negative.

I would put a cone on him so he can’t bang his ears on anything or use his paw to scratch the ears.
leave it on until the ears stop bleeding and start to heal.
Don’t remove any scabs, let them fall off naturally.
Also do not use any h2o2 to clean ears and no ointment of any kind on the ears.
Thank you for the response I appreciate it!!! He is doing better today, no more bleeding but head shaking . He and his parents vwd was normal . I wish the vet was open but I can't get in touch with them because of labor day weekend. Not the best idea for them to schedule him before a 3 day weekend. I tried the come but it presses his ears down and causes him alot of discomfort , so I put baby socks and Ace bandage on his back paws . The one side looks great the other is all scabby but hey at least it's scabby today! I think maybe we are going in the right direction *fingers crossed! Its just when our female had hers done I don't think she was as uncomfortable as he is.