Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

2 things, the most endearing and the most annoying...

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by raym0016, Jul 23, 2019.

1. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

I was thinking earlier today that one of the most annoying things about my 13 week old puppy is that he isn’t a puppy, but a goat. He puts almost everything in his mouth, especially outside. Grass, sticks, leaves, mushrooms, dirt, mulch, etc. does that ever stop? How can I make it stop?

Conversely, the most endearing thing he does is when he sits leaning against my leg at full attention watching my back when I am standing still.

What are your most annoying and most endearing with your dogs?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Most Annoying: Tie for first place: Whining. Explosive barking at other animals.

Most Endearing: The way he sleeps when I sleep. Like my past Dobes, when I lay down and close my eyes, they know to not touch me or bug me. Oji, even if he hasn't had enough exercise that day, will lay down and just be a good sleeping or napping buddy. There are just a couple exceptions to this bliss, the most common of which is his self-body-slamming. This occurs most when he is too warm. He will get up, walk to a different position then drop down like a bag of bricks, vibrating the floor to the extent you can feel it at least one room away.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I feel you on eating everything on the ground outside.. garbage and cigarettes are the most annoying -.- lol and he loves to eat grass. Hoping once his head is more off the ground when he grows taller will help lol at leave he knows leave it and drop it but sometimes I can’t say leave it fast enough before he’s
    Already chomping away at something on the ground

• Like Like x 2
  4. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

Glad I am not alone in this!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

I swear the first couple months with our guy my hands were in his dobershark mouth majority of the time digging things out :facepalm:

My annoying thing for us at our current stage is the excited whining. That really high pitched sound, that you would not expect from such a large dog, whenever he's really excited. The worst being anytime we pull up to a place in the car. He stands in the back seat so it's directly in your ear and the looks you get from people as you sit there with this happening behind you is priceless. Or when he does it for the first 5 minutes of group training classes as he accepts the fact that he can't go play with the other dogs and no on can hear the trainer over him:whistle:

Most endearing would have to be our morning snuggles:love: its the calm before the storm of our day lol. When we wake up I say hi baby and Red will come lay his head on my chest and shoulder and snuggle up to me. We spend the first 10 minutes of walking up every day doing this.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Diane Law

Diane Law Hot Topics Subscriber

Most annoying would be when I try to have a conversation and Hoss wants attention.
    He will give one LOUD bark as if to say ......HEY!! Over here woman!
    Darn dog .....that hurts my ears for sure..........
    Most endearing is when he first wakes up...still a little sleepy ......and he lays his head in my hands for an ear massage. So cute.......

• Like Like x 5
  7. My Gal Gretel

My Gal Gretel Hot Topics Subscriber

Most annoying: using the backs of my legs like a springboard. Think a skateboarder going up a ramp, turning mid-air, and coming back down. She does that usually when I’m standing at the kitchen sink, though not full force. She knows she’s not supposed to and she knows I can’t stick my knee out at her in that direction :rp:

Most endearing: when she puts her head on my shoulder. My husband says, “I swear that dog is giving you a hug.” Yes. Yes she is. :biggrin:
    ...or when she sits straight in front of me like she’s showing me how good she can be. It’s kind of an Eddie Haskell type move, though:innocent:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Most endearing is when he is always by my side. Always. Either leaning on me or sitting/laying next to me. Always comforting. He wants to be with me. (He's laying on his bed next to my chair now!)

Most annoying is when he's by my side.....stealth! Laying behind me, unbeknownst to me so I turn and practically fall over him. Sometimes I do! Or walking in front of me and stopping. "What are you doing?? MOVE!" :rolleyes: That's when he trips me up! :green::nurse: :furious:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Most annoying is eating everything but the biggest is eating rocks for Bogie.
    He will now walk by me with his mouth closed (it’s normally half open with tongue out) and I know immediately he has something in it. He will come over to me and when I say drop it he will drop a couple rocks in my hand. :banghead:
    And their love of paper towels, palm fronds, plastic bottles.
    69515D96-2BB0-45D2-872F-B427AD2F2663.jpeg

34B8D612-3F47-4502-BFC1-6FFF4AA2F1E2.jpeg
    Stopping in front of me when I am trying to do something. Running into my arse when I stop because they are always following me everywhere. Bogie jumping the fence chasing a bird or iguana.
    The groaning and whining. Damn the high pitched whine. Bogie barking at a rat farting 1000 yards away. Bogie is a big barker, Bacall not at all unless it serves a purpose.
    The most endearing is sleeping when I sleep but always watching for me to open my eyes with a leash hanging from their mouth knowing that the minute I wake up they are going for a walk. Bogie has to be right next to me all the time and both of them nose touch the back of my calves with every step I take going up the stairs.
    They sit by the gate with it open and wait for the release command, the same with being in the truck. They will sit and wait with the door open on the truck until I give the off load command.They are such good dobies.
    Standing totally still without a leash to get a bath or to get hosed off after swimming. Always wanting to lay on me with their paw wrapped across me like having your spouse’s arm across you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh God, yes! I forgot to add the running into me when I stop. It's bad enough he stops in front of me, but when he's following me and I suddenly make an about-face, he's up my azz! LOL

And when he thinks I am out of routine or not on time, I get the whine. Like now. He thinks I should be going out to the barn. I will! On my time! :tap: Gawd, don't you hate when the dog is telling you what to do?! :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Most annoying:
    When he is 30’ away eating sticks and I tell him to stop. He moves 60’ away and continues to eat sticks. Arggggg!!!! Then the ECollar goes on and he listens extremely well.

Most endearing:
    1.When he gives me the side eye and nestles his head under my chin.
    2.When he is gentle (which is extremely rare) and jumps up on couch/chair and sleeps with one of the girls.
    3. When we go somewhere in public and everyone is staring at him and he performs like a rock star.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

Yes. 30' away. me: "Ramsey, leave it.. LEAVE IT" getting closer.. "LEAVE IT". Ramsey's inner voice: "Drop the stick, wait until he gets closer, I already have a bunch of chunks in my mouth and I just KNOW he is going to reach in and grab those chunks. Ok he's close now.. quick Pick up the stick, bounce like crazy and think its a game and run away out of reach".

And they wonder why we humans created things like e-collars. I know he is way to young for that now but I will be getting one for sure.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Tropicalbri's

These boys definitely have that side eye look down pat! And you are correct they ARE rock stars in public and asshats at home.
    B51A9627-3269-4F9C-B339-531F8B903A40.jpeg

15612B0C-651D-4C0A-BBF6-195F9B2C10AE.jpeg E78BC4C7-E6B8-447B-B061-3DFBA493CA45.jpeg B30AD1B9-32EE-493B-9057-01BE24530FDE.jpeg 2C23A8D3-F0AC-4E73-8723-D4C85745D5A6.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Most annoying:
    THE WHINING! A dog that looks like a beast shouldn’t whine like a bitch!

Most endearing:
    Their acting skills :spit: People often comment on how calm he is :thumbsup: Yes, he’s just such an angel - all the time :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Lol, my hb loves this too!

@Tropicalbri's Is Bogie doing the sniper crawl there under the gate? It reminded me of how Kaiser will give me a play bow when he’s avoiding any grooming activities. Soon as I pull his grooming kit out, he does this little dance. But once the pampering starts, he enjoys it! :hearteyecat: The asshat pic :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Tropicalbri's

I taught both the twins stealth crawling early on as a form of training which definitely came in handy during this last boot camp training. Not many dogs are comfortable crawling under things and I just felt it a necessary training in the event I wanted to do search and rescue especially when there are so many potential devastating hurricanes that are more prevalent now.
    I used them in helping find animals in my hometown of Panama City and Mexico Beach after Hurricane Michael destroyed my beautiful hometown. There were many lost pets and I worked with an animal rescue group to find and transport those animals to a shelter to be scanned for chips and given medical treatment until their owners could be found and or placed for adoption in the many shelters that were willing to take them in.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. Logan 45

Logan 45 Member

Most annoying things my Dobie does is run out in the field and literally eat crap since we have cows and horses. The other thing that’s annoying is if I fall asleep in a reclining chair he will poke me with his nose in the side of the face to wake me up to play fetch .

Most endearing things he does is his loyalty although that my seem vague do it being a breed trait. He likes to lay his head on me or my wife and sit with us on the couch when we watch tv. And then he will be annoying at the same time because he will bark in our ears if the door creaks and he thinks someone is coming in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

Hahaha, with my first Dobe I had horses and he would wait for the horses to off load and run eat it. I called that a ‘Hot Meal’.:spit:
    He would also eating the hoof trimmings when I trimmed the horses hooves. Omg that stunk sooo bad!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  20. Logan 45

Logan 45 Member

Haha isn’t it ridiculous at least he doesn’t roll in it I’ve had dogs do that before.He definitely has snuck in horse trimmings :rofl: it’s like he must hold it in his mouth until we get in the house and then I find him chewing on the trimmings later on.

• Funny Funny x 3