Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

2 Male pups ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ramos.cindy, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

Hey! Fellow dobie enthusiasts i have a serious question do you believe that having to boy pups is a bad thing ( bc of male aggression) they are pretty much being raised together

2. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

just some pics of the boys ( Blue is the pitbull and King is the dobie) 93C3B79B-7FC7-4D53-BB57-D95FE37985BC.jpeg 70369EC5-03E9-4FD5-8BAB-E97D86F1EF26.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Very cute puppies! But... not a situation I would chose to be in... unless you plan on putting a lot of time and effort into managing them and making sure there are no issues with SSA. There are folks on here with households better suited to talk to it than me, though.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

It will depend on the dogs but it is highly possible that they will have some fights as they get older. I have raised males that were close in age from puppy hood. They hit a certain age and they just feel the need to challenge each other. They were good together most of the time but a few times a year we would have knock down drag out fights with one or both needing stitches or staples. So just be aware that it can happen. It usually happens without warning or at least you will feel that way. You will eventually learn to pick up on the signals.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Me either! They are both adorable (is that a smile on that Pit?? lol! ) But both males and both a strong breed? Not me. Just be prepared. Is one or both of these breeds your first?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Not only SSA but possibly have to deal with DA (dog aggression) as it is typically a trait of pitbull type dogs. It really depends on the individual dogs but the odds aren't good and you wont find out until it happens if it does (sometime after maturity). With DA, they can be fine for years and then something happens, like a strange dog outside they bark at, then in frustration, the one takes out the frustrations on the other. For their safety, I would not leave both out alone when not home. If they decide they dont like eachother, you may have a lifetime of crate and rotate or find yourself having to rehome one after becoming attached for a year+. Just be prepared for those realities.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's potentially a bad thing, and definitely an inconvenient thing.

When they start to reach the age of sexual maturity, their play will give way to an actual fight. Don't be surprised if your Dobe gets its butt kicked, but you never know which way things will go. Of course, there is also that legendary dog-fighting prowess of the Pits, so be especially careful.

You may have to "crate and rotate." Not convenient.

I'm glad you are planning ahead here. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

yes! i'm there main owner but as i still live with my parents my dad helps as he's had a doberman before but it's my first time with the pit breed

9. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

The pit doesn't live in my house all the time he is my dads guard dog at his job but he comes here all the time since he's a puppy and leaving him alone is a big nono for me i love both of them so much and try to have them together as much as possible

• Like Like x 1
  10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Then it's not such a big problem if the Pit doesn't actually live there and can go home with your dad if problems arise after he matures a bit.

You didn't actually mean to hit "disagree" to @Oh Little Oji s post did you?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

i didn't sorry! definitely clicked that by mistake

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ha. No problem. :) Thought it was interesting.

13. Brioddy

Brioddy Active Member

I hope you don’t mean an “actual” guard dog as opposed to having a dog that just appears imposing to deter miscreants. Pits have a bad enough reputation and they are absolutely under no circumstance supposed to exhibit any sort of human aggression. Dogs are a whole other matter.

It is very challenging to raise two pups at the same time, look up littermate syndrome. Especially with the pit, once they mature they may be best friends now but that can change. And is likely to change as many pits are dog aggressive, it’s in their genetics. That’s not to say it can’t or won’t work but do be prepared.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

No he's not being trained as a gaurd dog , he's the sweetest thing ever yet he still gives that mean boy look and bark to scare of anyone trying to come in

• Like Like x 2
  15. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Not only would you potentially have to deal with SSA, with puppies that close in age you have to worry about littermate syndrome as well. Littermate syndrome is VERY real and the dogs don’t have to be in the same litter to experience it, just close in age and raised together. Please make sure that these dogs havr time apart and are crated separately in different rooms and are trained seperately. Otherwise they will learn to depend on each other and not rely on you.

I share my home with two males and three females and a same sexed household is NOT for the faint hearted. It is hard work and I am
    An experienced show home. Mine all get along well, but that it not without extreme effort on my end to make sure boundaries are set and rules are followed. It only takes a second for a dog fight to start and most of the time we don’t even see it coming unless you know what you are looking for. Educate yourself on animal behavior, particularly dog body language and bever allow play to escilate. SSA is why we as reputable breeders never allow a puppy to be homed to a home that has a dog of the same sex or to a family that currently has another puppy.

Can it be done, sure! It is not recommended, especially for homes inexperienced in the breed. You already have both dogs, so you sre where you are, but you will have to be diligent to make sure that they live together in harmony and be prepared to crate and rotate if they don’t. Once SSA rears it’s ugly head it’s there to stay.

• Agree Agree x 2