1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

16-week old puppy wakes me every 3 hrs. Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Wolfchic, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Wolfchic

Wolfchic Novitiate

Hi there,
    Lucas is a healthy 16-week-old doberman (had our third visit to the vet yesterday). I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He sleeps in his crate at night within earshot of my bedroom. When I first brought him home he would wake up about once a night to go pee outside and sometimes would sleep through the night. Over the last couple weeks he's started barking a lot in his crate at night. He will go to sleep initially and then wake up around 2:30am and again around 4:30am. When I let him out he often just wants to play in the yard and doesn't even need to go pee. I've tried letting him "cry it out" however he will keep barking for at least 1.5 hrs. I'm exhausted and wondering if others have encountered this issue and if so what helped. I've tried bringing the crate into my room but he does the same thing.
    Thanks,
    Alison

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

My Dalmatian pup is 15 wks and she used to want to go out several times during the night. Most times it was for absolutely no reason what so ever but to play and look for rabbit poop. Now, when I take her out before I go to bed, we spend at least 20 min playing. Throwing her toy and just letting her run wide open. By the time I bring her back in, she is slam wore out. By 9:30-10pm she is zonked and she sleeps until about 4am..... (which works for us because my husband is usually up even before that).

Maybe a night walk just isn't enough for him. Burn off some energy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodyboy

Rodyboy New Member

I think some exercise before bed would help a pup. Also moving him to your room will help. If husband has to be up early though may be a problem. Make sure he tires out during day exercise and slow him up on his sleeping if he sleeps during day. I would also ask my vet what I could do. Sorry, not much help here. Let us know how it goes and if it was resolved and how you resolved it. Your experience can help someone else.

4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If it’s hard to differentiate a bark of “I need the bathroom” vs “I want to play” then I would:

1. Get up (grudgingly), not say a word or give any inclination of happy/fun.
    2. Put on leash and walk him out.
    3. Give him a couple of mins to do his business.
    4. Then back inside to the crate.
    5. No talking- no nothing. All business, outside then back in.

• Agree Agree x 5