Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

13months and left ear not standing; will it ever or do I stop posting

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by dobienewbie, Jan 26, 2020.

1. dobienewbie

dobienewbie New Member

Hello :)
    I have a now 13month Doberman, he's the best! The issue is his left ear I think it was cropped longer and thinner at the top. The right one stands and has done for months.
    I got him at 7months. His left ear flops half way. I use the method posted on here with the video of the woman and her dog where she uses the foam and tape. I take them off twice a week; every Wednesday, when it flops I repost, then take them off again every Saturday and do the same.
    To begin with the breeder had said leave them on 5 days and then have the posts off for two days. I changed this when I read that as soon as it flops repost.
    Any advice? Anyone gone through this? Also will his left ear ever stand, am I wasting my time and my dogs?
    Thank you

2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Keep posting and only leave ear out of post long enough to clean and dry the ear then repost ears. Some people have had to post for almost 20+ months with a longer crop.
    The vets are not good about how to post or the theory about not allowing the ears to be down for longer than 15 to 30 mins. If you leave the post out until the ear falls, it sets you back on being successful with them standing. Never leave out of posts longer than the time it takes to clean and dry the ears.

:welcome:To DCF

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1
  3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Post for 4-5 days (5 days max) and only change them if they get wet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dobienewbie

dobienewbie New Member

Thank you both!!! Really helps especially as no one else I know has gone through this as it’s illegal in UK to crop and dock. He’s an import

5. dobienewbie

dobienewbie New Member

Another question he also has a retained testicle at what age would this need to be removed?

6. Panama

Within the next 5-11 mo (18-24 mo of age)... just my personal opinion.

7. Panama

Saw this and just thought I'd share it in here.............. a 7 yr old lab... owners never realized (or addressed) that he only had one testicle in the scrotum.... he ended up sick, retained testicle had twisted and was cutting off blood supply, they did surgery to neuter him and remove the retained testicle.

On the left... the retained testicle that weighed 2 lbs.
    retained testicle.jpg

• Wow x 2