• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

13 Month Old Ears Not Standing

Guevara

Novitiate
Hello I am new to the forum, I have a 13 month old Doberman his name is Toby. He has his ears cropped at 12 weeks and we took him regularly to get his ears posted till 9 months. There were times when his ears stood up for a day or two but most of the time nothing happened. We gave him vitamins to help his cartilage but nothing seemed to help. His cartilage seems soft even till this day. Is there a way his ears can stand up or is it too late. Has anyone gone through the same experience. Please help. I would love to know any suggestions or similar situations and what you guys did. Thanks in advanced. This is Toby. Obviously the photos with his ears down are the current ones.

Attachments

• 1D817BB2-B188-478C-A4E7-D58243A2BF0B.jpeg
    1D817BB2-B188-478C-A4E7-D58243A2BF0B.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 1CD4C221-3DB1-403E-98C8-DE1D61F4BEC1.jpeg
    1CD4C221-3DB1-403E-98C8-DE1D61F4BEC1.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 22
  • A517D359-B0FC-40EC-B749-65B388552DDE.jpeg
    A517D359-B0FC-40EC-B749-65B388552DDE.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 22
So sorry Tobys ears are not standing. Hopefully someone may have answers for you. I would ask what you did as basic posting procedure from the time he was cropped until now. Are you still posting? I think once you let them hang down for a long period it's harder to ever get them to stand.

He's a pretty boy, welcome to the forum.

No we are no longer posting. We would not post ourselves we would take him to the clinic to get his ears posted. It was usually with tape and the tampon thing. Sorry not sure what it’s called

So sorry Tobys ears are not up. It looks like he has a long crop, which for some dogs may need to be posted for 12 to 18 months. You could try to post again but I do not know if it will work. Did the person who was posting the ears know that they were not staying up once posting was stopped? If they did, they should have told you the ears would need longer posting time. Hopefully someone else on the forum will have more info for you.

Prada was posted until 14 months of age. She had a show crop so longer than normal. If you stopped posting at 9 months, I don’t know that posting will get then to stand now. You could ask about shortening the crop but that may not help at this point either. Too much time from when posting was stopped to fix, more than likely.

You can give this combination a try:
Glucosamine as supplement, to help build/strengthen her ears cartilage and chewing (bones/toys) to strengthen her nerves. I am not a vet, but this combination always works on my GSD puppies. Good luck

Prada was posted until 14 months of age. She had a show crop so longer than normal. If you stopped posting at 9 months, I don’t know that posting will get then to stand now. You could ask about shortening the crop but that may not help at this point either. Too much time from when posting was stopped to fix, more than likely.
@Doberman Gang I would really appreciate if you can reach out at your earliest convenience, since I haven't figure out how to send you a dm(message) since I am still newbie in this platform or call/text @ 817 809 8830. I have a few technical questions about your slat mill. Thank you in advance!

Back