Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

11 years of waiting.

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Rits, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

The one without a doberman! If you haven't read my stories of why I fell in love with the Doberman, you can read about that here (and add your own!) What Drew You To The Doberman Breed My post there explains why I'm here. Why I've stuck around for so long in addition to getting to know all the great members and their beloved dobermans, their other pets, their gardens, their family stories, through the good and the bad.

We already had two great dogs with Java and Paige. It wouldn't have been fair to them or the new puppy to bring another in at the time I fell in love with the breed, especially into an apartment. I wanted to spend time with those two and take them places. And we did. As Java and Paige were winding down into their senior years but still able to keep up with a pup, I started talking to my husband about near future plans. We now have 2.5 acres of property and are in the works of building our new home. We both agreed it was time. I was so excited that I could finally dig in. In January I started researching breeders. We were on two waiting lists (plus approved for litters from friends of our breeder). A litter or two passed us by, not enough puppies, no boys etc. Finally the time was here and we were first in line for a black and tan boy for a pedigree I really liked. South American lines on both ends with natural sharpness. I wanted a boy because I was ready to get out of having bitches (literally) as I grew up with female dogs as far as I can remember. I really wanted this to be my dog that I could do things with and I had read that typically the opposite genders tend to bond more with their owners.

Well 6 wonderful little beans were born on May 31st. 4 reds and 2 blacks. 2 boys; 1 red and 1 black! One for me!! Of course after months of waiting we had a registered name picked out and a call name. We really liked the name Rocket so my husband came up with a related registered name. We went with (Breeder name)'s Go For Launch . It was so fitting for us; finally getting the signal that we were a go for launching into owning a doberman! And I'd like to do some dock diving, too so also relatable there.

Well, a few days later I get a text from my breeder saying "You're going to kill me!!" Oh no. This was the first litter she wasn't there to supervise as the female decided to just do it on her own without her there and someone else took down the sexes. So turns out HE is really a SHE. She apologized over and over and promised she would help me find my boy. I don't fault her at all. Mistakes happen and either way I would've been told no boy! But if I wanted, I could have one of the black and tan girls, the one that was right for me and what we want to do. I talked about it with my husband, and thought about it (surprisingly quicker than I thought). I didn't want to wait for many more months (in addition to how long I've already waited!) and have my heart broken again. My husband said he'd support whatever decision (big help, ha!) but that I really liked this ped and he thinks she will bond with me. I have been talking with @JanS and she also reassured me that they aren't called velcro dogs for nothing, lol. My gut told me yes, so we're getting our own little black and tan girl!

She's 2 weeks old, not sure which one just yet as their temperaments, conformation, and drives wont show through for a few more weeks. We decided to stick with the shuttle launch/spacey theme and go with (Breeder Name)'s Houston We Have A Problem. :D A cute name for a cute little story of how we ended up with our girl.

Dam
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sire
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Day
    [​IMG]

5 days old
    [​IMG]

1 week
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Appreciation Appreciation x 13
    • Wow x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
    After such a long wait! It must have been so hard not saying anything for these past weeks!
    Looks like you were just meant to have another girl and I don't think you will be disappointed. Can't wait to hear all about your new journey. Oh, and I just love the new breeder name. So fitting

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm so happy for you! :congrats::wow:I can't wait to see what adventures you have with your little girl :gun:

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

As I already said, you don't always get the dog you want, you get the dog you need. Congrats again!
    Now first lesson in dobe ownership, it's black and rust.
    upload_2020-6-16_5-5-16.png

Sorry, pet peeve of mine......no tan!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Well congratulations! An historic event!

So, is this a litter bred by Archer? Something about the dam initially made me think of that.

6. Rits

It has been hard like you wouldn't believe! I wanted to be sure everyone was healthy and thriving, too. Thank you!

:rolleyes: Oh goodness, Genny, thank you for the lesson. :p Interesting enough, the FCI standard says black with tan markings! The sire is a Trotyl son. While American bred purely because of location, the litter has a lot of SA on both sides of the ped. SA lines are bred to FCI standards. So, both terms are still correct. I've been avoiding saying "black girl" largely when speaking in public. It sort of turns heads to eavesdroppers. :rolleyes:

She does have a beautiful head like @Archer 's girl, Aria! I've told Ainsley I've always loved Aria's beautiful head! But no, this isn't her litter but she knows the breeder and they do share some of the same lines in their peds. The dam and Aria share the same grandsire - Cha-Rish Star Quest Blu-J's; Hunter. Both have a lot of Aquarius stuff.
    Thank you Ingrid! How is your search coming along? I hope we see some news soon from you too about a cute little pup!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Omg, I am absolutely giddy for you.

I kept waiting and checking for you to drop a paw and share this. I felt it coming.
    The girls are exceptionally smart and super Velcro. I am so very happy for you!!!

8. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

:wow::wow::wow::congrats::congrats::congrats::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun:

9. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!
    We will of course need a zillion pics of your new little girl!

10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Good for you....I am sure you are super excited!!

Man, look at all those reds.

what does that breeder say about whining?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I'm sooooo excited for you @Rits !!!! You will love your girl, and believe me no problem bonding. Velcro is velcro! Keep us posted with puppy pictures! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance!

12. Rits

LOL. I'll have to ask. I'm already prepared to nip it in the bud thanks to you guys and talking about it! I was on the right track with Java, just not enough practice since it largely happened at trials.

Thank you for the reassurance! So many ladies here with their heart dog being male dobermans. Its nice to hear from someone that has a female and give me that confirmation that it will all work out.

I'll be sure to! The amount of pictures I have of our animals on my phone is in the thousands... :bag: No kids, yet, so when I get to talking to people about my life...they are in for a treat. "These are my kids! All 20+ of them, and different species too. :D"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Super! Super!!! Exciting news!!!
    :woot:

One time, I went out looking for a black male. Came home with a red girl.

Rolling Stones wrote a song that describes it perfectly
    You can’t always get what you want but sometimes, you get what you need.

Sounds like your next life adventure just began :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

That’s what I call a diverse family!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

How exciting! Congratulations!

Wow, South American lines - like an extra spicy psycho puppy :rofl: But it sounds like you've got a good plan for keeping her busy :thumbsup2: I was surprised as I read along that you wanted a male, I just pictured your first Doberman to be female and somehow it all turned out that way. It’s meant to be!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I think all the dogs are going to differ in personality, so you may or may not get a "sticky" one, but I don't think male/female is a big factor. I do think females are more serious, but you'd have to do a survey, I'm just one person! The older Asha gets the stickier she is, especially since her first heat. I know nothing about the South American lines - curious minds want to know! Are you going to show or compete? Sire and Dam are nice! So excited for you!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rits

They are known for being sharp (the good sharp, not unnervy). And have the drive I'm looking for for doing performance competition. The sires momma defended their owner in a home invasion. A true testament to this breed... I want to thank @Archer for her help. With her help, background info paired with my own personal research, I was able to learn all I could about the pedigree. I won't be showing conformation. Dock diving, barn hunt, lure course, obedience, WAE test, etc is what I'm interested in initially. I wouldn't mind taking some fun confo handling classes with her if there are some nearby. We will see!

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  18. Rits

:eek::rofl: I love it!

I told Paige days before I found out the truth, "You're getting a brother!" Then a few days later, "I actually lied, you're getting a sister!" She just blinked at me blankely, wagging her tail and settled for head pets. :D

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. Tropicalbri's

I just want to smooch on those little puppies. They grow up too fast.
    With Java and Paige’s energy level all these years, you are definitely prepared for the Doberbeast.:D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tropicalbri's

I found this to be true with mine. Bacall runs to the threat, Bogie hangs back to protect me by standing between my legs with the death look.
    Bacall wants to engage and eliminate the threat so Bogie doesn’t have too, however if Bacall connects then Bogie will also engage.

• Like Like x 5