1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

10 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil For Dogs

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by strykerdobe, Aug 9, 2017.

1. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So.......excuse my naivety on this, but this is a form of marijuana, right? And it's legally sold (obviously) and legal in all states to buy? Is it not subject to the rules and regulations of Medical Marijuana for humans? I mean, not every state has approved the selling of medical marijuana so is this available to everyone?

3. strykerdobe

Totally legal in every state.
    It does not get a human or pet HIGH!!!!!!!! Its made from Hemp and not Marijuana
    It has below the amount of less 0.3% THC by the Federal guidelines.

This explains about CBD But I don't know about this product!!!

CBD High - Does CBD Oil Get You High? Benefits: Cancer ...
    Home - Health Facts Reportcbd-high
    Can You Get High
    from CBD? - See Extraordinay Health Benefits of CBD Oil. CBD High. CBD oil will NOT get you high as is does not contain any amount of THC

And you would not want to give a pet CBD made from Marijuana!

Look up These are for pets. But its Human grade!
    www.canna-pet.com
    www.petreleaf.com

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. strykerdobe

Cannabidiol: A new option for pets in pain?
    More research on effectiveness is needed, but unless adverse events are reported, it’s a treatment worth keeping in mind for your veterinary patients.
    [​IMG]
    Aug 02, 2017
    By Michael Petty, DVM, CVPP, CVMA, CCRT, CAAPM
    DVM360 MAGAZINE
    [​IMG]Shutterstock.com

Cannabidiol (CBD) has been receiving increasing attention for its use in the treatment of pain in veterinary medicine. Unlike marijuana, which is a class 1 substance that contains varying levels of its active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol is an extract of the hemp plant that has THC levels lower than 0.3 percent.

CBD affects the endocannabinoid receptors, which are located in both the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system. Endocannabinoid receptors are very important as they function to maintain body homeostasis. CBD is deeply involved in those endocannabinoid neurotransmissions in that they upregulate and downregulate neural transmissions as needed to maintain that homeostasis, helping keep the body in a normal and healthy state. Although we’re focusing here on the use of CBD for pain in animals, other known actions in humans include the downregulation of anxiety, noise phobia, epilepsy, inflammation, emesis and anorexia, among other actions.

The “magic” of treatments that both upregulate and downregulate neural transmissions is that they always act to move the body toward a normal state and therefore don’t shift things in the wrong direction. Acupuncture is another treatment known to have the same type of homeostatic action.

In other words, both acupuncture and CBD work quite unlike many pharmaceuticals. Most pharmaceuticals only stimulate upregulation or downregulation, making it possible to move body systems out of their normal or homeostatic state. Because CBD works toward homeostasis, it doesn’t do this, making unwanted side effects rare and giving CBD a good safety profile.

There is almost no published research on the use of CBD in animals. Some research is being performed at Colorado State University on the use of CBD for pain currently, but as with most research projects, the results won’t be available for some time. Therefore, practitioners who want to recommend or dispense CBD must do so based on information from anecdotal evidence—one of the worst types of evidence to rely on.

As a pain practitioner, I will carefully consider utilizing treatments with little or no research behind them as long as there don’t seem to be reports of serious adverse events. Our drug armamentarium for pain in veterinary medicine seems woefully deficient, especially when we’re dealing with a patient that doesn’t respond to proven and approved therapies. However, if we’re willing to utilize the unproven treatments, we must also be prepared to discard them if they’re eventually shown to have no real evidence supporting their use or when unacceptable side effects or adverse events present themselves. Hopefully this will never be an issue with CBD.

I have encouraged many of my clients to use CBD to treat the pain of degenerative joint disease and other chronic conditions in their pets. The results have been mixed—but that’s true of proven treatments such as Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) therapy as well. In patients where CBD has worked, my clients have reported a decrease in pain, improved sleep patterns, increased appetite and improved attitude, all leading to an overall improvement in quality of life. Again, these clinical impressions are not research and do not carry the weight of well-done studies, but they certainly offer up hope for an additional treatment for pain.

What’s more, veterinary clients are already using CBD for their dogs and cats with or without our input, and for a variety of reasons besides pain. Many internet-based businesses have robust sales of CBD. Most states allow the import of hemp-based products as long as the THC level is at 0.3 percent or lower. Most commonly it is being used to treat pain, but it’s also used for anxiety, seizures, anorexia, vomiting and as a sleep aid. Clients buy these products without any knowledge of the extraction process, which can have a profound effect on the amount of CBD that is bioavailable. Some companies buy their hemp from Chinese sources, which are often associated with high concentrations of heavy metals and pesticides. Some companies have no quality control and wildly varying concentrations of CBD, including no CBD in their products.

As practitioners, we want to know which company has the best product, what the concentration of the product is, and what quality control and testing have been done for dangerous heavy metals and pesticide contamination. But we may not have any better luck than our clients. For example, I have reached out to several of the more popular companies selling CBD products to get basic information about quality and testing, but none have ever called me back. The FDA did do some testing on CBD products and found that label claims rarely matched the actual content. Some products they tested had no CBD in them at all. The results of the FDA’s report can be found found here: fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm435591.htm.

One exception on the horizon may be a product being produced for Peak Performance Veterinary Group in Colorado. It has a CBD concentration of 100 mg/ml in a coconut oil base and has been tested for purity and contaminants. It is also a full-spectrum extraction, which means additional cannabidiol substances such as cannabidivarin (CBDV), cannabichromene (CBC) and cannabigerol (CBG) are also present. For more information on the product you can contact the hospital through peakvets.com.

Future research and experience will give us more information on dosing levels and intervals. Current recommendations for oral dosing of CBD in dogs and cats are 0.02 mg/kg to 0.1 mg/kg given twice daily. According to James Gaynor, DVM, DACVA, DACVPM, of Peak Performance Veterinary Group, for pain management most dogs do well at 0.05 mg/kg twice daily, while cats do well at 0.025 mg/kg twice daily.

Finally, this article would not be complete if we didn’t touch on the legality of buying and reselling hemp-based products. The DEA considers CBD a marijuana derivative and therefore subject to class 1 scheduling. However, the agency only has enforcement over the cultivation of hemp—not its distribution. This is why most hemp products come from overseas, resulting in the concerns over heavy metals and pesticide contamination we discussed earlier.

The FDA has also gotten involved because of medical claims made by some manufacturers of CBD products. As a result, in order to avoid prosecution, most CBD products come with no specific medical claims or dosing recommendations. As if that weren’t confusing enough, the USDA considers hemp an agricultural product and has made its own statements about the product. Obviously, in order for CBD to be dispensed without fear of reprisal, all federal agencies need to come together and take a position on the sale and use of CBD products.

Is it worth recommending CBD products to your clients? My answer is yes, as long as you take into consideration the points framed here. Should you have clients buy direct from a manufacturer or resell it yourself? I think that depends not only on how far you want to insulate yourself from the various government agencies, but also on the specific laws of your state concerning the purchase and resale of CBD. This information is changing constantly, but information for some states can be found here: ncsl.org/research/health/state-medical-marijuana-laws.aspx. The information on CBD can be found by scrolling down the page.

Editor's note: We previously listed the dosages in mg/ml. We apologize for our error.

Dr. Michael Petty is a faculty member of the Canine Rehabilitation Institute in Wellington, Florida, and owner of Arbor Pointe Veterinary Hospital in Canton, Michigan.

Related links

5. jsigrist

jsigrist Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

6. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I was at a lexture the other day in regards to encorporating CBD into modern medicine. It was interesting. A breeder friend of mine has completely stopped seizure activity in her 8 year old daughter by the sole use of CBD oil. Pretty interesting

• Like Like x 1
  7. strykerdobe

We have started our male Yago on CBD for the last 8 weeks. He had a neck Disc issue. Not Wobblers! He has been in the Occult Stage of DCM for the last 18mo.
    Then I found this info! There are also some studies going on for
    the cardiovascular system a therapeutic target for cannabidiol?

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC3579247%2F%23!po%3D0.641026&h=ATO26IHGXwbOZ_v0WiqVvSw0xI2OkyT1FYNoGCR7mT66qZi9YbDJYsJKCkjP037ItTR2nPVMQAn4olCngEPfUHtuEeOCiG-P7jZszTNmHqCmAz1CPWW1rOA6P9Gl5PKnTx26q2AXP6k8K9HgpuBu

https://www.projectcbd.org/heart-disease

8. strykerdobe

Also we have been giving our boy Yago CBD for about the last 8 weeks. He had a neck C6/C7 Disc issue with severe pain or a pinched nerve. Luckily not Wobblers! He was on lock down for about 7 weeks. No running, jumping up or down from furniture and no steps. Was on Gabapentin.
    Also he's been in the Occult Stage of DCM since Dec. 2015. Is on 4 Heart meds and a very large regiment of supplements.

Then also found these studies.

Is the cardiovascular system a therapeutic target for cannabidiol?

https://www.projectcbd.org/heart-disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3579247/#!po=0.641026

9. strykerdobe

10. strykerdobe

11. Cannabis4Pets

Cannabis4Pets Novitiate

Much of the CBD available for pets (and humans) is derived from Hemp. Hemp and marijuana belong to the same plant family but are not the same. Every mammal has an endocannabinoid system. This system aids in the regulation of the central and peripheral nervous systems (controlling most of the functions of the body such as mobility, response to pain, immune system and cognitive function). It produces cannabinoids naturally, but deficiencies are possible when the ECS can't make enough of the cannabinoids needed for proper regulation. The hemp plant is quite nutritious as it's a good source of fiber, protein and healthy fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6).

Some veterinarians are prescribing medical marijuana products that contain THC as some pets have had significant improvement from a full-spectrum product. Full spectrum means whole plant medicine. So, when choosing a CBD product for your pet, make sure it is full spectrum and isn't cut with additives, preservatives, artificial ingredients or other plant matter.

I started giving my 2 furbabies CBD oil for their separation anxiety. We don't come home to messes anymore -- it's helped them tremendously. CBD oil helped keep my boys calm on both July 4th and NYE as fireworks went off all around us. It's also helped our 7-year-old Chihuahua/Shar Pei mix with his minor arthritis. He plays like a puppy. One of the companies I work with is preparing to roll-out a grain-free CBD pet food, treat and tincture line soon -- I can't wait! If you are using a general CBD oil - make sure the ingredients are pet-safe. Some CBD products contain plant-derived terpenes (which have accepted therapeutic benefits), so make sure that the included terpenes are okay for your pet to have as well. Please feel free to ask me questions if you have them -- I'm happy to help :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

OH my goodness....My Grace a POT HEAD??? :wacky::wacky::wacky:
    She's already goofy enough!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Cannabis4Pets

Cannabis4Pets Novitiate

LOL CBD oil won't make your dog high - it's non-psychoactive. Even vets recommending THC for pets aren't recommending dosages that would put your dog's head up in the clouds. Despite what the government wants people to believe - Cannabis is and always has been medicine. Hemp has literally thousands of uses - medicinally and industrially. I am a medical cannabis patient myself -- I microdose. People don't understand cannabis, it can definitely be confusing. But - it's not just about THC or CBD, it's about all of the cannabinoids and terpenes in a particular cannabis strain working together. Hemp lacks cannabinoids other than CBD and THC (Hemp does contain THC but is usually 0.3-percent or less but can be as much as 1.5-percent... still VERY minimal and not enough to even get a newborn human high). Hemp CBD can still be very, very beneficial when it's full spectrum, and is even more beneficial when proper terpenes are included to create the entourage effect (also only achieved via whole plant medicine).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GOD'S GRACE

It's my sense of humor...;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

:rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. GOD'S GRACE

Truth be known, I hate drugs...too many natural stuff that can fix many issues...grant it if you need a broken bone set, a little pain aid is ok...(for the weak)...however doping our kids and dogs for some of the things folks do is plum crazy in my mind...and this is coming from someone who also battles cardio issues since 1994...drug free!

• Like Like x 1
  17. strykerdobe

You can eat the pizza and candy bars for your dog!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Walther

Walther Novitiate

I heard its a thing now and ive heard alot of individuals are utilizing this CBD oil thing..I had a go at seeking what this CBD oil is able to do and im exceptionally entranced to know its therapeutic properties and how it can enable many individuals from certain sort of malady to like joint inflammation, traded off resistant frameworks, seizures, epilepsy, nervousness, and balding..

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strykerdobe

We incorporated in with our 8yr old Dobe over 1yr ago. He has DCM and had a neck pain issue.