Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

“Fine Tuning” Lexi’s Left Ear / Corrective Posting

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by My2Dobies, Jun 6, 2019.

1. My2Dobies

My2Dobies Hot Topics Subscriber

9852E5DB-07E9-4C58-A3DE-E72B7D640A49.jpeg E55D2D9C-50A8-41AC-94C0-55EDD2021264.jpeg Hi all! I’m hoping to get some expertise to try and straighten Lexi’s left ear. The crop is beautiful, and I couldn’t be happier . . . with her right ear. The left ear has a crease in it, at about the upper one-third line. She doesn’t seem to hold it up as straight as the other, and the tip seems a bit floppy.

She’s 9 months old in two days. The left ear has been like this for the past few months: at least since February. We haven’t officially stopped posting yet. I left her posts out for almost a week 2 weeks ago, to try and see if she would straighten it herself; that didn’t work. I tried putting in 3/8 inch backer-rod posts and ended up with quite a few sores in her ears, I guess from them moving even though I posted them the same way that I’ve been posting (the only difference being that the posts themselves were the smaller bore). After that, I tried making a modified “breathe rite” post, adding two q-tips since the breathe rite strip alone is not long enough to brace the crease and those long tips. I took that out last night, and it didn’t seem to do much. I also worried that even that small amount of extra weight would make it worse.

So my question: should I just put her back in regular posts again? Or is there some kind of modified post that I need to do to “find tune” the upper 1/3 of this ear? Of course, I’m hoping to avoid having to full-on post her, as she and I both are tired of it. But, I’m committed and will do it if needed, as her crop is really beautiful. However, I wanted to ask opinions, especially from @Archer (I think) or any others who have knowledge and experience in corrective posting to make sure that more time in regular posts is what is needed in this situation as opposed to something more creative. I’m not sure myself that more regular posting will correct it, as it hasn’t improved in the past 4 months. And if I need to do regular posts, do I only post that left ear, or both?

Thanks for any help y’all can offer!

2. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't know how to fix it other than to continue posting. Someone else may have different ideas for you.
    I actually think it looks kind of cool, sort of like she's covertly listening with her right ear but trying to look casual with her left ear! She's a cutie no matter what!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I would continue posting for awhile (couple of months) then switch to breath right strips after that. Prada, our female had one ear do that and we posted then use breath right strips she wasn’t all done until about 14 months. Don’t give up this is her now.
    431F09F8-4B27-4673-9B2B-D52DE209E70A.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Archer posted a video of using the zip tie method. I know it doesn’t work for all but I used it for the last month of Bacall’s posting because of her getting sores from the posts. It worked out really well for us. It’s in the puppy ear posting thread.

• Like Like x 2
  5. My2Dobies

My2Dobies Hot Topics Subscriber

@Firestar Dobe Thank you. She’s a fireball with the sweetest, most innocent-looking face!

@Doberman Gang thanks. Good to know there’s hope for it. Prada is gorgeous.

@Tropicalbri thanks. I’ll watch the zip tie video again.

6. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I do believe continued posting will work. Looks like a longer show crop, and with that type of crop you may have to post another 4 to 6 months, some have posted the longer crops until the dog was 1 1/2 yrs old. Just remember if it doesn't work she will still be the coolest girl on the block!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Doberman Gang

Thanks, Prada managed to pop out a post one night when she was about 7/8 months of age, then slept with the ear tuck under her head. It made a crease in her ear and it was flopping there. So we just kept posting it until about 13 months then did the breath right strips for a month.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

Prada is gorgeous!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

This is the first picture I have seen of her in the nude. :D Usually it’s always with harnesses or coats on. Wow I am just so impressed with how beautifully serious and elegant she looks!:love:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Doberman Gang

That was taken during her critique at our trial last fall.

11. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This ear will need continued posting with 3/8” backer rod. Since bases are sturdy you can half post. Instructions in the puppy section. The 3/8” is required because that ear needs a narrow base to mold around to form properly. Form is an important part of posting. This is a big reason why the ziptie method fails many as the posts are flat and don’t allow for molding. Lemme know if you need help :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that she's going to need continued posting with the backer rod. Longer crops take longer and they can sometimes fool you when they stand nicely for so long, then start drooping.