‘Entitled’ Mom Asks If Her Child Can Pet Service Dogs, Can’t Take “No” For An Answer

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
‘Entitled’ Mom Asks If Her Child Can Pet Service Dogs, Can’t Take “No” For An Answer

By Gerda

People get into petty arguments with strangers all the time. They are usually brief and quickly forgotten about, and everyone just gets on with their lives. However these days, with pretty much everyone wielding easy access to a camera phone, these minor altercations can suddenly take on a life of their own.

This argument at a mall in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is a classic example of this. Misplaced anger and petty vindictiveness over a refused request to pet a service dog escalated a simple misunderstanding into a viral video, that has thousands of people weighing in with their own opinions on the matter.

The video was originally shared to Facebook by service dog handler Megan Stoff and has been viewed over 2 million times, with people shocked by the aggression of the mother. It is (or at least should be) a well-known fact that service dogs are there to assist people with special circumstances or requirements, and shouldn’t be interfered with while working. Sure, a polite request can be made, but no means no, and this mom didn’t seem to understand that.
angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-24.jpg

angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-25.jpg

angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-26.jpg

angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-27.jpg

angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-29.jpg

angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-30.jpg

angry-mom-kid-rejected-pet-service-dog-31.jpg

I think she is one of these!!!!!!!!!!
crazed-leftist[1].jpg

Unfortunately this happens way too frequently. Who in their right mind would allow their child in the face of a strange dog. Even with training as a service dog, it could bite just out of being uncomfortable with a kid hanging off it.
Stupid, stupid people. I can’t say it’s dumb because dumb can be forgiven, stupid can’t be forgiven.

Did you notice she can’t get her kid to go into the stroller? The kid was refusing and she handed the kid to her friend instead of correcting her child. That’s what this mindset creates...entitlement attitude. :tap:

Last edited:
Seeing a service dog in a store is like running into a B-list celebrity. You want to say hi, but you know you absolutely can’t, so you hide behind the banana display, and peek out every couple of seconds just to get a gander.

“OMG, kids! That’s Kristi Yamaguchi over there by the hummus! Don’t look!”

The carhartt beanie says it all lol. Hipster millennial self entitled douche canoe.

It’s surprising how a patch that clearly says “do not pet” does not deter people from asking to pet. A few nights ago a woman in home goods asked me to pet Rex even though it clearly said “do not pet” (Rex is not a service dog, however I have it so people won’t ask) I politely declined her and she exploded on me lol.

I saw a headline or two about this tonight.

I haven't watched the video, but I guess this is an extreme example and a weird woman; but it represents a mentality that has always burned me up: People think that they have an inherent right to access and make decision regarding your dog.

As someone with a service dog in training I can tell you this happens more than you can imagine.
If it's not someone that thinks they have every right to put their hands all over your dog, it's someone that is disgusted by the fact that you are bringing a dog into a restaurant or grocery store. Weird paradox for me because on one hand I am very proud of the work Rumor and I have done. It was a challenging road that we had to figure out together. It's hard enough to get a service dog when you go through the right channels, but to pick and train your own dog can seem insurmountable. But we did it. Then you reach the point where the dog is ready to work and you are met with the opinions of people that think they need to share with you. It creates a lot if anxiety and kind of takes the wind out of your sails.

As someone with a service dog in training I can tell you this happens more than you can imagine.
If it's not someone that thinks they have every right to put their hands all over your dog, it's someone that is disgusted by the fact that you are bringing a dog into a restaurant or grocery store. Weird paradox for me because on one hand I am very proud of the work Rumor and I have done. It was a challenging road that we had to figure out together. It's hard enough to get a service dog when you go through the right channels, but to pick and train your own dog can seem insurmountable. But we did it. Then you reach the point where the dog is ready to work and you are met with the opinions of people that think they need to share with you. It creates a lot if anxiety and kind of takes the wind out of your sails.

I wouldn’t let it bother you or stress you! Most people are POS. I’ve learned a great phrase to deal with people like this and it usually ends the conversation right then and there. However NSFW, but I simply tell people like this “eat a male body part”. Maybe you can start using this.

I am always taking Bogie or Bacall with me to Home Depot and had an unpleasant encounter with kids and adults wanting to pet Bogie even though you could clearly see the DO NOT PET patches on his vest. One man arrogantly told me that I shouldn’t have brought my dog in the store if I didn’t want people to pet it.:eek:
I had to remind him and his entourage that it was a home building store not a petting zoo.
It will never end with people thinking they have rights to intrude into you and your dog’s personal space without reservation.
Now if you go up to their children and try to hug them or touch them you will wind up in jail.
The disparity between how we were raised and how the new generation (not all) are raised is very obvious with these encounters.
I could see it if the patches were in cursive but they are boldly printed in block letters.:scratch::censored:

:spit: A douche canoe lol.

:lmao: Nooooo! Do you really say that :rofl: I think I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face!

Yes, I really do. To be quite honest I don’t like most people and I don’t like people approaching me or people randomly conversing with me in public. When I occasionally get douche canoes speaking to me I’m very blunt with them.

I saw a headline or two about this tonight.

I haven't watched the video, but I guess this is an extreme example and a weird woman; but it represents a mentality that has always burned me up: People think that they have an inherent right to access and make decision regarding your dog.
Children who grow up never being told No, become adults that can’t handle being told No. And as a wonderful bonus, she’s procreating an entirely new generation of snowflake.

Yes, I really do. To be quite honest I don’t like most people and I don’t like people approaching me or people randomly conversing with me in public. When I occasionally get douche canoes speaking to me I’m very blunt with them.
Welll, isn't that spethial? Actually, you remind me of myself a bit. I am fairly antisocial, and I find myself several times a week coming to the place in my head where I just say "People completely suck!" This most often happens after walking my child to school and observing the driving behaviors of my fellow citizens.

Reminds me of years ago when I worked in a sheet metal plant. On my tool box I had one of those Mean People Suck stickers, only I had removed the word "Mean."

That said, I do enjoy positive encounters with people and sometimes even find myself making eye contact and giving a smile. We do actually all need to get along, and I like to promote friendliness, or at least courtesy.

I just read your post to my hubs, he lost it.:spit:
He said he had never heard the expression “douche canoe” but fully understood the context. Of course I added that you needed to give them a set of chopsticks so they could paddle their douche canoe upstream and leave you alone.
We are pretty much loners too and outside of work related interactions we don’t socialize except with close friends and even that can be anxiety for me. I prefer playing and training with my pups over anything else because they are so VERSATILE. :D

I wouldn’t let it bother you or stress you! Most people are POS. I’ve learned a great phrase to deal with people like this and it usually ends the conversation right then and there. However NSFW, but I simply tell people like this “eat a male body part”. Maybe you can start using this.

The last time I had Rumor out working in public I had a tee shirt on that said Dogs because people suck. Oh the looks....

This is what is wrong with the world today, no one is willing to except “no” as an answer!! Heaven forbid her angel is denied ANYTHING. Oh, the horror!

Suck it up, buttercup.

Back