• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Is your dog too skinny? Wanna put some weight on him? [Satin Balls]

For the full Satin Balls recipe, how many servings does it make, and what is the recommended serving portion?

You know the only thing I would take OUT of those recipes is the WHEAT cereals... WHEAT is not tolerated well by most mammals lower intestines! its a common malady to have WHEAT intolerance and since dogs lack the cellulose digestive enzyme's since they do not commonly digest grains... I would remove it and put rice cereal instead... rice krispies, or a natural rice cereal or a quinoa cereal or a NOT GLUTEN containing cereal choice...
otherwise, I agree that everything in there is good for your dog and will put weight on, but more importantly its nutritionally balanced and GOOD for them....
I would add some digestive enzymes to the mix as well. Mercola has a great one! Digestive enzymes for any and all dogs is a good idea, period....
If there were ONE thing you could give your dog that would make sure that whatever he/she is eating gets digested and put to use? it would be digestive enzymes! or better yet?
RAW real GREEN TRIPE if you can get it... best thing ever! :rolleyes:
I'm just sayin!

All these recipes sound helpful to add weight on a dog, but what do we do when a dog just doesn't eat but one meal a day? I have read many times, from different groups that growing Doberman pups need from two to three cups of quality kibble daily. I have used Blue Buffalo and Cato tired of it quickly. I started adding rice, boiled chicken or ground turkey, boiled eggs and that didn't seem to help. Now he eats once a day, skipping the breakfast meal and is pretty darn picky with his supper meal. This has me worried. Any suggestions?:(

SOS here's what I am doing to put weight in my boy for his shows. I mix a baseball size satin ball with 1 cup of kibble in the morning and evening. You have to remember they won't starve themselves. Stick to a regular feeding schedule ad eventually he will figure out being picky means being hungry. My boy isn't really picky, just not a big eater. Hope that helps.

To me the problem with Cato sounds like something you are doing. Cato is learning that not eating means tastier meals. Put the kibble down, and just kibble nothing added. Wait a couple days and don't give in. A trip to the vet to rule out Cato being sick would be number 1 though.....

SOS here's what I am doing to put weight in my boy for his shows. I mix a baseball size satin ball with 1 cup of kibble in the morning and evening. You have to remember they won't starve themselves. Stick to a regular feeding schedule ad eventually he will figure out being picky means being hungry. My boy isn't really picky, just not a big eater. Hope that helps.

To me the problem with Cato sounds like something you are doing. Cato is learning that not eating means tastier meals. Put the kibble down, and just kibble nothing added. Wait a couple days and don't give in. A trip to the vet to rule out Cato being sick would be number 1 though.....

Thanks so much. This seems reasonable to me.:)

I have read many times, from different groups that growing Doberman pups need from two to three cups of quality kibble daily. I have used Blue Buffalo and Cato tired of it quickly. I started adding rice, boiled chicken or ground turkey, boiled eggs and that didn't seem to help. Now he eats once a day, skipping the breakfast meal and is pretty darn picky with his supper meal. This has me worried. Any suggestions?:(
Are you picking the food back up if it isn't eaten within 20 minutes or so? If not, I know many of them who will get super picky and not want to eat if they know it's available to them when ever they want it. I also prefer at least 2 meals per day, but I know it can be difficult if they aren't real eager eaters. But, dogs won't starve themselves, so I'd put down the bowl of food in the morning for 20 minutes, pick up what's left uneaten, then put it down again at your designated feeding time in the evening for 20 minutes. They do know how to play us, so if you keep adding more good stuff to the food, they know it and will play you some more. ;)

Are you picking the food back up if it isn't eaten within 20 minutes or so? If not, I know many of them who will get super picky and not want to eat if they know it's available to them when ever they want it. I also prefer at least 2 meals per day, but I know it can be difficult if they aren't real eager eaters. But, dogs won't starve themselves, so I'd put down the bowl of food in the morning for 20 minutes, pick up what's left uneaten, then put it down again at your designated feeding time in the evening for 20 minutes. They do know how to play us, so if you keep adding more good stuff to the food, they know it and will play you some more. ;)

Thanks very much. I've been a little lazy as of late.:confused:

My guys are vacuum cleaners when it comes to chow time. If one of my dogs doesn't eat there is a problem. I would watch your dog and if his appetite doesn't improve I would take him to the vet. When was the last worming done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guys are vacuum cleaners when it comes to chow time. If one of my dogs doesn't eat there is a problem. I would watch your dog and if his appetite doesn't improve I would take him to the vet. When was the last worming done?

Three months ago on the worming. I just brought him in from his morning jog and he threw-up some yellow substance. Maybe a tablespoon worth. There was nothing solid in the vomit, but this info will go to the vet on his next visit in about three to four days unless he does it again, he will go right away.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best health insurance?:confused:

I agree that a stool sample and vet check would be first priority before coming to any conclusion. With that said, some dogs are just not big eaters and struggle to keep weight on. This is especially true for our dogs that do lots of work and get plenty of mental and physical excersice. My girl eats like that's the last meal she will ever get, my boy could care less. He has also had a full blood panel, and fecal exam. For whatever reason some dogs just don't care as much. Either way first step is ruling out illness.

A high quality kibble or raw diet Lol. Not sure on the insurance I keep a saving account just for if an emergency would come up with the pups. I pay enough to insurance companies as it is.

We feed Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy. I hope that is high quality. We do read the back of food bags. If we can't find Blue we will buy the Royal Canin Maxi Puppy. He doesn't care for that unless it has some bacon fat and pieces of bacon. We are not allowing the bacon any more. Never fed raw as I don't trust it. I suppose I have heard too many bad things about raw.

We feed Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy. I hope that is high quality. We do read the back of food bags. If we can't find Blue we will buy the Royal Canin Maxi Puppy. He doesn't care for that unless it has some bacon fat and pieces of bacon. We are not allowing the bacon any more. Never fed raw as I don't trust it. I suppose I have heard too many bad things about raw.

I am a big fan of raw feeding, but I felt i would screw it up somehow if I tried it.

Although blue buffalo is not the worst in the world it's not the greatest. If he likes it and his Heath is good I would not switch.

I wouldn't cross between brands of food if you can avoid it. A sudden change in food will cause an upset tummy.

I am a big fan of raw feeding, but I felt i would screw it up somehow if I tried it.

Although blue buffalo is not the worst in the world it's not the greatest. If he likes it and his Heath is good I would not switch.

I wouldn't cross between brands of food if you can avoid it. A sudden change in food will cause an upset tummy.

Matt, Do you know of a better food than Buffalo other than feeding raw?

I really all depends on what you have available in your area. Here a couple great places to look to find out the ratings on different dog foods according to the ingredients.
The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost
Switching isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you go slow, and sometimes it does take trying a couple times to figure out what works best for your particular dog. It also takes at least a full bag to know for sure how the dog is going to do on it. We fed Albert the Fromm Gold LB puppy and he did well on it, but we've since switched to TOTW and both of our dogs do excellent with that one.

I really all depends on what you have available in your area. Here a couple great places to look to find out the ratings on different dog foods according to the ingredients.
The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost
Switching isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you go slow, and sometimes it does take trying a couple times to figure out what works best for your particular dog. It also takes at least a full bag to know for sure how the dog is going to do on it. We fed Albert the Fromm Gold LB puppy and he did well on it, but we've since switched to TOTW and both of our dogs do excellent with that one.

Thanks for the information. We will check on TOTW at Pet Smart or Tractor Supply.:)

Blue Buffalo has a 4 star rating so I would consider it a quality food, I'm sure there are better rated foods but I don't see any reason to change if it is working for you and your dog.

I should have elaborated more on the switching of foods. As jan said if you do it slow and over a period of close to two weeks it will not cause an issue. If you are just switching right after you run out of blue buffalo then that will most certainly cause an upset tummy.

I too would not switch if you are seeing good results. Not every food is right for every dog, they are all different and equally picky.

Some high quality foods I approve of.
Orijen
Acana
Wellness ocean core
Precise hollistic
Evo
TOTW
There are many more but these are just the ones I have personally looked in to and agree with the ingredients and manufacturing.

Blue Buffalo has a 4 star rating so I would consider it a quality food, I'm sure there are better rated foods but I don't see any reason to change if it is working for you and your dog.

Thank you very much for removing some fear that we might be doing things wrong. We will stick with Blue.

Back