Doberman ear posting - improved method

Thank-you for this very informative post. I have had Dobermans for over 30 years but most were rescues and they were cropped when I got them. I am going to get a puppy in the next 10 days and I want to know as much as I can about cropping and taping. This was certainly a big help . I would also like to know if the puppy is going to be able to play with my small dog without risking injury to his ears during the taping stage ?

Welcome to the board and congrats on your new puppy.

Your pup should be able to play with the smaller dog as long as the other dog doesn't try to lick the ears or grab them. Many of us have taped and dealt with another Doberman, so the smaller dog "should" be easy. :)

You should go and post in our introduction section too so we can all give you a proper welcome. :)

Doberlicious, This is just my opinion and I'm no expert by any means. The first two weeks when the stitches are in you might have to be a little careful that they don't get to rough and tumble because you might pop a stitch. The cut in the ear is pretty simple so even if you do pop a stitch it's not the end of the world, maybe a little bloody. After the stitches come out it's game on! Let the dogs be dogs and play, play, play. The only damage at that point would be to the posts which you simply replace in a few minuets. When Apollo plays with his friend he gets pretty wild and crazy and nothing bad has ever happened. I pretty much supervise all playing so if anything got out of hand I can step in, but I like to let dogs be dogs.

Congratulations on your new puppy, Dobermans are the greatest dogs in the world

:ty:for the info GZR. I was really worried when I saw that first photo of Apollo. Honestly it was almost enough to make me reconsider cropping .... but the second photo and your reassurance that he will be able to play and have fun has put me at ease .

If you had any idea how hard I looked for that glue when I was going thru this with Justice. I must of called every specialized pharmacy in the State of Minnesota. So clue me in please, where do you get it ? I'll be in need a few short months so I'd like to be prepared to do it this way.

I can get it here in town at Healthline Medical Supply, and I think they're a chain so if you have one in your area you could check there. They also carry the Kendal Curity porous tape so they're a great source.

Otherwise you can order all of the supplies here. http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/results.php?category=34 I order the adhesive remover here since our store only carries the wipes and they don't work nearly as well.

I can get it here in town at Healthline Medical Supply, and I think they're a chain so if you have one in your area you could check there. They also carry the Kendal Curity porous tape so they're a great source.

Otherwise you can order all of the supplies here. http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/results.php?category=34 I order the adhesive remover here since our store only carries the wipes and they don't work nearly as well.

Perfect thank you Jan !

I had to go over this thread again today to read up on ur tips, seeing as how I have a new puppy that is going for her crop on the 15th! I always used the tampon with the back taping method. It worked just fine but I think the "skin glue" and rods might be a more stable or solid type of method. Thanks for posting this! :D

Ooh that's next week already! How exciting!
I like the fact that the glue keeps them stretched up really nicely and in place with no sagging, and they don't want to pop out of the ears like some of them do if they're not perfectly seated (or even if they are), so I don't think you'll be sorry. :)

I just ordered the glue from the Nature's Farmacy that you posted...$24.00 and change for shipping and all....not bad!

O.K So I'm going to jump in and ask questions here.

My first GLUE posting is today and I'd like to ask a few questions. Do I still need to tape the flap on the outer front ears ? I've only used tape before today and I'd really like to not mess this up. So what's the procedure in detail ?

O.K So I'm going to jump in and ask questions here.

My first GLUE posting is today and I'd like to ask a few questions. Do I still need to tape the flap on the outer front ears ? I've only used tape before today and I'd really like to not mess this up. So what's the procedure in detail ?

Ahhh never mind Jan did a great job in the beginning as it seems I missed that part.

How can you tell the ears are done. Nixie's ears stand very well or their own without tape. Just need work on the top 1/4" of the ear.

When they stand for a week or so on their own without flopping over. Usually takes 6 months, but some have had quicker responses with dosing with vitamin's and such. Depends on so many circumstances......... You'll know.

Yes, what Stephen said is true. When you're sure they're standing correctly, you can use the Breathe Rite strips to keep that part stable. :)

Back