Dander Allergies

Discussion in 'Doberman Related Talk and Discussions' started by brad, Mar 10, 2012.

Share This Page

1. brad

brad Novitiate

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello,

I am looking for a bit of advice I suppose. I would like to get a doberman a european breed. I have an allergy to dander it seems from being around labs/rotties. However I have a weiner dog at work that licks me from head to toe and rolls all over me and does not bother me. I am just wondering where the doberman falls? Do they shed alot, is there lots of dander. I am just trying to do some research prior to purchasing one!

Thanks,

• Like Like x 2
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner
    Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Ratings:
    +59,444
    Dogs Names:
    ALT CH Dellazz Basic Instinct
    Hurricane Albert di Andromeda
    Hi Brad and welcome! Doberman's don't shed nearly as much as labs and Rotts, but they do shed a couple times a year, like almost all breeds. Being that their hair is so short the cleanup is minimal, and I'm also an allergy sufferer but the Dobe's don't bother me in the slightest. I think a good diet also helps keep the dander at a minimum.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Marinegeekswife

Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ratings:
    +34,276
    First Name:
    Jess
    Dogs Names:
    Spock, River
    Welcome from Colorado. In dry climates the Doberman can have quite a bit of dander. This can be controlled with a good diet and supplementing with fish oil. The shedding can be controlled with weekly brushing outside with a rubber curry comb. Do you know anyone with a Doberman? Some exposure to them would be the best way to determine if they're the right breed for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. brad

brad Novitiate

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks so much for the reply. I am just sitting on the fence at the moment waiting to arrange a get together with a doberman before I look to a breeder!

• Like Like x 3
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner
    Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Ratings:
    +59,444
    Dogs Names:
    ALT CH Dellazz Basic Instinct
    Hurricane Albert di Andromeda
    Good plan so you know ahead of time if it will work for you. Let us know what you find out!

6. Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber

Ratings:
    +5,161
    Dogs Names:
    Echoruns Ezekiel's Dream (Zeke) CGC, TDI, CD, BH, TT, CDX, RN, TR-1, OB-1, RA
    Dobewan's Notorious Red Alert (Redman) CGC, TDI, CD, BH, TT, RN, RA
    I agree with Jan, we have not had any allergy problems in our family with this breed and we all have allergies. When we had our boxer I would have to wash thoroughly after playing with him or I would break out with itchy skin and eyes. None of us have had any issues with either of our dobermans. Shedding is minimal and I agree proper diet and supplements help with there coats. Good luck with your search and I would definitely get some exposure to test yourself since everyone's allergies are different.

• Like Like x 2