Herm Sprenger sizing question

Kawa

Novitiate
Hello All,

I would like to get a prong collar from Herm Sprenger for my 5 months old male Dobie. Currently his neck circumference is around 35 cm (14'). Since it is not cheap my plan is to buy one, and take out the unnecessary units and as he grows I would add the units.
I've read the official website of Sprenger and it said from stainless steel the 2,25mm diameter is for Dobermans, but it also states that it only holds great until 20kg. For 40kg dogs 3.0mm diameter.

I am leaning towards the 2.25mm due to the forum posts around the web + it can be adjusted more precisely and the dog being only 5 months old the 3.0 would be probably too big.
Any advice / experience with the collars which one should I take?

Thanks

Is this just for walking nicely on leash or for serious precision training?

The smaller prongs when fitted well are great for a very light touch in precision obedience training, but if you have a dog that is just pulling you along on pleasure walks the larger prongs would work just fine. I got the larger one for my dog at about 6 months and it was too big, so I had to take a few out, leaving only 5 prongs and it worked just fine.

Hello All,

I would like to get a prong collar from Herm Sprenger for my 5 months old male Dobie. Currently his neck circumference is around 35 cm (14'). Since it is not cheap my plan is to buy one, and take out the unnecessary units and as he grows I would add the units.
I've read the official website of Sprenger and it said from stainless steel the 2,25mm diameter is for Dobermans, but it also states that it only holds great until 20kg. For 40kg dogs 3.0mm diameter.

I am leaning towards the 2.25mm due to the forum posts around the web + it can be adjusted more precisely and the dog being only 5 months old the 3.0 would be probably too big.
Any advice / experience with the collars which one should I take?

Thanks
IMO either is fine, just learn how to adjust it. Also when u want to correct jerk it quick and release down not up.

Is this just for walking nicely on leash or for serious precision training?

The smaller prongs when fitted well are great for a very light touch in precision obedience training, but if you have a dog that is just pulling you along on pleasure walks the larger prongs would work just fine. I got the larger one for my dog at about 6 months and it was too big, so I had to take a few out, leaving only 5 prongs and it worked just fine.
Currently the pulling has been reduced, but he often sniffs everything on the ground, also picks up everything if I say no for a stick then he just picks up another one 1 meter away :). I would like him to be focusing on me, look for my command/reactions, stop target locking etc.
I might also go to protection training with him later on.

Currently the pulling has been reduced, but he often sniffs everything on the ground, also picks up everything if I say no for a stick then he just picks up another one 1 meter away :). I would like him to be focusing on me, look for my command/reactions, stop target locking etc.
In my opinion a relaxed sniff walk for the dog to enjoy time outside, I don't try to train so much as just make it pleasant for both of us. Being dragged around was not fun and the Prong fixed that. Just a bit of a pop and come back and they don't lean into it either. If he's eating something you could correct him, but if he just wants to pick up a stick to carry, I would think that's just part of having a good walk. If he is staring at a person or dog a redirection is a good idea, but total focus on you defeats the purpose of what I call a "sniff walk", especially at his age. If you work on his focus at home with no distractions, then you could incorporate a few minutes of a training focused heel for a few minutes on the sniff walk. Hope that makes sense. At 5 months, short sessions are best followed by play and fun. Either collar would help prevent him from ignoring you when you are trying to prevent unwanted behavior for sure.

I might also go to protection training with him later on.
If you want to do this, start by finding a club to visit now. The obedience is crucial and the instructors will help you in guiding your puppy properly. It is soooo much easier to teach at 5 months than if you wait until he's a year or more if you are going to do bite sports. Not to mention having to UNdo things you taught that don't mesh with the way they need to be done for sports. Even if it's personal protection rather than sports, obedience has to be crystal clear. They will help you with that.

We have a section here on the bite sports and I'd just love to see more action there! Welcome from New Mexico.

I've always used the 2.25 mm since it's easier to adjust on a Dobermans neck.

I use the 2.25 mm and always get two so I have extra links lol Ares has a big neck lol Athena never needed extra links she’s got a small neck. I like the black ones with no quick release.
FYI always have a buckle collar on as a just in case (prongs can fail) and snap buckles are useless to me… my boy has busted a few of them back in the day haha

I use the 2.25 mm and always get two so I have extra links lol Ares has a big neck lol Athena never needed extra links she’s got a small neck. I like the black ones with no quick release.
FYI always have a buckle collar on as a just in case (prongs can fail) and snap buckles are useless to me… my boy has busted a few of them back in the day haha
Now that you mention it failing. I saw some connecter thing recently it went from prong to other collar maybe? It was a thin buckle made of collar material. I need to find it I never thought about that before. Must get it though for sure.

Now that you mention it failing. I saw some connecter thing recently it went from prong to other collar maybe? It was a thin buckle made of collar material. I need to find it I never thought about that before. Must get it though for sure.
You can buy a safety clip/back up collar clip to attach to both collars or get a leash that already has one built in. I use a prong collar leash from Leerburg. In this picture you can see where the leash sort of splits off and goes to both collars. 338EC0E7-944C-4DF8-9443-177E3063609D.jpeg

You can buy a safety clip/back up collar clip to attach to both collars or get a leash that already has one built in. I use a prong collar leash from Leerburg. In this picture you can see where the leash sort of splits off and goes to both collars. View attachment 143453
Yes this is it! Thank you! Such a good idea and keeps them safe.
And btw he is gorgeous!!!

Here is the link to the leash. Thankfully the prong only came off one time and I was using this leash. It was when I first started using the collar and didn’t realize that when I was removing/adding links to figure out the fit that I had bent a prong pretty badly.

Thank you 🥰
Thanks!!!

Back