1.  In order to post messages and view attached files in this forum, you must be a registered member of doberman-chat.com

Please take a look around, and feel free to 

Strange hair growth/bald spots

Discussion in 'Doberman Health issues and questions' started by Marinegeekswife, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've noticed some thin/bald spots on Spock that I'm not sure are normal. I'm not worried as he isn't a show dog and it doesn't affect him but I was wondering if they are normal and/or if anyone else has seen this.

Lots of brown showing through on his stomach and just behind his elbows:
    [​IMG]

Balding/thin hair in his armpits

[​IMG]

Oh...and his belly button still shows, lol.
    Apollo and Dobieone like this.
  2. Damasyn

Damasyn Novitiate

Lexi has thin hair in her pits, under chest area and on the sides of her thighs. I think alot has to do with her laying alot on certain a certain side and when she is in my truck she lays on her chest. And this winter when I put her coat/sweater on, her armpits get really bare. Also she lost alot of hair on her throat from wearing collars

I have her on a skin and coat formula food as well as giving her fish oil caps. I also go without putting collars on her most of the time lately and the hair is finally coming back. ( in little patches tho lol )
    Marinegeekswife and Dobieone like this.
  3. Dobiegirl

Dobiegirl Novitiate

Jess, Logan has the same look, I don't think it's anything, and funny you mention his belly button cuz Logan is very noticeable, never noticed my girls like his.....
    Marinegeekswife likes this.
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

I don't think it's uncommon and Boris was much the same. It's probably some of those friction areas that are more prone to not growing as much hair. If only us gals would have so little hair growth under our arms, huh? LOL!

PS, I just checked Della and it's the same with her, so I think Spock is perfectly normal.. ;)
    Marinegeekswife, Apollo and Dobieone like this.
  5. Damasyn

Damasyn Novitiate

6. Damasyn

Damasyn Novitiate

7. Damasyn

Damasyn Novitiate

See, he is a hairy little bugger compared to Lexi ! Poor girl, time for some rogain lol
    Marinegeekswife and Dobieone like this.
  8. d0ds0t

d0ds0t Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Seems like normal "wear and tear". If you are using a harness on him, just make sure it is the right size, or it will rub uncomfortably specially behind the elbows and the shoulders.
    Dobieone likes this.
  9. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Novitiate

It is perfectly normal. I checked all 3 of my guys and although 2 are not Dobes, they too have less hair under the arm pits and I can see their belly buttons. :D
    Oh, and any collar the wear daily is always loose so not to rub and make bald spots. (I use a different collar for walking etc. which is tighter fitting)
    Dobieone likes this.
  10. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Thats why Apollo wears only a rolled leather collar, no rubbing with those :)
  11. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Novitiate

Totally agree, but not forking out the money for leather on the pup til she is finished teething...been down that road before. LOL!! My old guy has a rolled collar so it doens't flatten out his coat around his neck and I put the cheaper nylon collar on my border collie as the pup likes to hang from it. :D
    Dobieone likes this.
  12. Marinegeekswife

Thanks guys! I was just wondering if he was normal and it seems that he is. :)
    Dobieone and Shadowlands like this.
  13. bythenight

bythenight Active Member

Priest has some little bald spots on his belly recently too. I didn't think too much of it. He also has some additional hair growth where his "jewels" used to be. It looks strange, but I just figured it's because he is still maturing. I am worried about the thinning hair on his haunches though. I keep giving him the Chlorhexiderm baths, and he is getting cod liver oil once a day. My trainer said to have his thyroid checked.
  14. Marinegeekswife

Yipes! Hope everything turns out alright with Priest.
    Dobieone likes this.
  15. Sisko

Sisko Novitiate

I will say I think that what you see on Spock is normal. Not to worry.

Ruby has some thinning hair on the underside of her neck from collar. Thanks Apollo for the info on rolled collar. I have fear of them not wearing collar, even in house, what if they wandered out by some weird situation, like the front door fall off, I dont know. I have tried different collars and they all seem to irritate. I am ordering rolled collars today!
  16. Dobieone

Dobieone Veteran Member

Yep Jess, he's just an active boy. Nothing to worry about! I do put AXE, dark temptations along with a hint of Fierce cologne on Chopper when the girls are around. :jk:
    Shadowlands and Marinegeekswife like this.
  17. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

:rofl:
  18. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Addicted Member Site Sponsor $ Forum Donor $

Just wanted to mention that I am working on getting some super soft rolled leather collars in. :)
    Shadowlands and Dobieone like this.