• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Strange hair growth/bald spots

Marinegeekswife

Hot Topics Subscriber
I've noticed some thin/bald spots on Spock that I'm not sure are normal. I'm not worried as he isn't a show dog and it doesn't affect him but I was wondering if they are normal and/or if anyone else has seen this.

Lots of brown showing through on his stomach and just behind his elbows:
Spock_Feb112011_7.jpg

Balding/thin hair in his armpits

Spock_Feb112011_8.jpg

Oh...and his belly button still shows, lol.

Lexi has thin hair in her pits, under chest area and on the sides of her thighs. I think alot has to do with her laying alot on certain a certain side and when she is in my truck she lays on her chest. And this winter when I put her coat/sweater on, her armpits get really bare. Also she lost alot of hair on her throat from wearing collars

I have her on a skin and coat formula food as well as giving her fish oil caps. I also go without putting collars on her most of the time lately and the hair is finally coming back. ( in little patches tho lol )

Jess, Logan has the same look, I don't think it's anything, and funny you mention his belly button cuz Logan is very noticeable, never noticed my girls like his.....

I don't think it's uncommon and Boris was much the same. It's probably some of those friction areas that are more prone to not growing as much hair. If only us gals would have so little hair growth under our arms, huh? LOL!

PS, I just checked Della and it's the same with her, so I think Spock is perfectly normal.. ;)

Seems like normal "wear and tear". If you are using a harness on him, just make sure it is the right size, or it will rub uncomfortably specially behind the elbows and the shoulders.

It is perfectly normal. I checked all 3 of my guys and although 2 are not Dobes, they too have less hair under the arm pits and I can see their belly buttons. :D
Oh, and any collar the wear daily is always loose so not to rub and make bald spots. (I use a different collar for walking etc. which is tighter fitting)

It is perfectly normal. I checked all 3 of my guys and although 2 are not Dobes, they too have less hair under the arm pits and I can see their belly buttons. :D
Oh, and any collar the wear daily is always loose so not to rub and make bald spots. (I use a different collar for walking etc. which is tighter fitting)

Thats why Apollo wears only a rolled leather collar, no rubbing with those :)

Totally agree, but not forking out the money for leather on the pup til she is finished teething...been down that road before. LOL!! My old guy has a rolled collar so it doens't flatten out his coat around his neck and I put the cheaper nylon collar on my border collie as the pup likes to hang from it. :D

Priest has some little bald spots on his belly recently too. I didn't think too much of it. He also has some additional hair growth where his "jewels" used to be. It looks strange, but I just figured it's because he is still maturing. I am worried about the thinning hair on his haunches though. I keep giving him the Chlorhexiderm baths, and he is getting cod liver oil once a day. My trainer said to have his thyroid checked.

I will say I think that what you see on Spock is normal. Not to worry.

Ruby has some thinning hair on the underside of her neck from collar. Thanks Apollo for the info on rolled collar. I have fear of them not wearing collar, even in house, what if they wandered out by some weird situation, like the front door fall off, I dont know. I have tried different collars and they all seem to irritate. I am ordering rolled collars today!

Yep Jess, he's just an active boy. Nothing to worry about! I do put AXE, dark temptations along with a hint of Fierce cologne on Chopper when the girls are around. :jk:

I will say I think that what you see on Spock is normal. Not to worry.

Ruby has some thinning hair on the underside of her neck from collar. Thanks Apollo for the info on rolled collar. I have fear of them not wearing collar, even in house, what if they wandered out by some weird situation, like the front door fall off, I dont know. I have tried different collars and they all seem to irritate. I am ordering rolled collars today!
Just wanted to mention that I am working on getting some super soft rolled leather collars in. :)

Back