Question Regarding the heat cycle of a doberman

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by omel13omel, Sep 14, 2011.

1. omel13omel

omel13omel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Guys,

A pleasant day,

First of all,I am really not sure if I am posting at the right category,Cant seem to find topic regarding heat cycle of a doberman here.So I guess I'll just give this one a shot.A reply would be much appreciated.

By the way,My Medusa just had her first heat, there are some blood discharges coming from her vulva and it was swollen last week and she will be turning a year old next month (October), I decided to monitor her and separate her from male dogs for she might get mated by male dogs in our yard.My question is, when is the best time for my Medusa to find her mate?is it okay for me to breed her on her second heat?How many times will a doberman get heat in a year?and how long will their heat cycle last?What are the good things,criteria to select for his perfect mate? I am just so curious,I am sorry.This is my first female doberman dog that I own.Had some dogs before but they were all males. :)

p.s. I am really sorry for my bad English and some term there:(.I am a Filipino,and English is not our main language here..Hope you understand.Thank you in advanced guys.

2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Thread Deviant $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Daisy,the Doberman
    Rocky the Doberman.

Maxie...always in our heart.
    I have always heard you shouldn't breed before 2 years old. I am by no means an expert though. I would if I were you do a bunch of research before you mate her. Your off to a good start asking here,there's some very knowledgable people here that can help you make some right choices.

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    ALT CH Dellazz Basic Instinct
    Hurricane Albert di Andromeda
    I've only gone through one heat cycle with Della before she was spayed, but I know lots of experienced people here who will be able to answer all of your questions.
    Breeding a Doberman (or any other breed) is something that shouldn't be taken lightly, so it's good you're asking questions now.

PS, your English is very good. :)

MyBuddy and omel13omel like this.
  4. StarlightDobe

StarlightDobe Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Nexus (4-14-10) Bella (2-19-11)
    Ive heard the same thing about the age, not to breed before 2 years for several reasons, one is that they are not fully done growing until then, the others are health related, such as when the testing should begin. Once growth is complete, hips should be xrayed, and checked for problems, along with elbows, from what I have learned, then their eyes should be checked, Im not sure if this is necessarily absolute to wait until 2, but Im sure you cna check on it. I do know the holter test for the heart is done at 2 and is a very important test, and I think theres another test, an echocardogram which is a separate test they do at 2 also. There is a DNA test for Von Willibrand's, the bleeding disorder they get, this might be able to be done prior to 2, again Im not sure. There is also a thyroid test that can be done and a test for Wobblers. Did I miss any?

Once your dog is tested for all these, then you should find a mate that is tested as well for all, but, breeding shouldnt be done unless you are sure you can find good homes for all the puppies and the mate has been fully tested and is a good healthy dog.

5. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    Are you wanting to become a good breeder or just have a litter??? It does make a difference. Have you studied and researched your dogs pedigree to become aware of any health issues? Are you planning on showing her in any venue to test her temperament, conformation or working drives???

It is recommend that you not breeed larger breed dogs prior to two years of age when you can have OFA done as well as the other standard health test that need to be done.

If you are not aware of the health issues and testing then you are not ready to jump into breeding just yet. I can tell you horror stories of people who did and ended up loosing the first litter becaue they did not know how to properly care for them.

Please find someone who is already a well respected breeder and ask for their help and input. Have them evaluate your dog as to conformation and drive. Research the pedigree and see what she might bring to the table other than just puppies.

Good luck - this is a great place to learn

6. DreamValley

DreamValley Addicted Member $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    You have time to learn more about Dobermans before she is 2 years old and decide if you want to breed her.

The breeding is the hard work. First you should learn about the dog pregnancy and labor and then take care after 6-15 puppies.
    Then you have to find responsible owners for your puppies.
    Some people don't treat dogs well and you will feel very upset if the owner abuses your dog.
    Also if you breed not healthy Dobermans (no health testing is done) your puppy owners will call you later to share their pain of losing a dog. That's heartbreaking!

The average heat lasts approx. 24 days. She will have dark bloody discharge for the first 4-5 days. Then she will go into standing heat for approx. a week - time when most females are being bred. That's very approximate timeline... Each female is different.
    My advice to keep her away from your male dogs NOW until she stops bleeding at all.

MyBuddy, Dobs4ever, Ethel and 3 others like this.
  7. omel13omel

omel13omel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    -I want to be a good breeder and want to have quality litters.My Medusa's pedigree is in my signature ..and would like to join some future confirmation show if my Medusa will have a handsome quality male pup.

I already talked to the respected reputable breeder here in our place about choosing the right sire for Medusa.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: when my Medusa is ready to be spayed.( on her 3rd heat maybe she will be on her 2 years of age)

WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHOOSE FOR MEDUSA? just need your advice.The pictures below are my choices for the SIRE to be soon of Medusa's litter.

Kimbo is a Philippine champion,has a great pedigree ( 24 Redmarks on his Pedigree)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or ACE 22 REDMARKS (no title yet for He was disqualified for his height which is 35 inches tall) what do you expect for a Luthor Line (huge and nice quality):) hehehe )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you all so much for the knowledgeable reply to my question here.I learned so much about the breed since I registered here at doberman-chat.com.You guys Rock!!:thumbsup: Thank you a bunch.

JanS likes this.
  8. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    Please review the standard - a dog that is disqualified for being 35 inches is too over standard to be bred to anything. So the 2nd dog is definitely out. Don't know enough about the first dog but he looks very similar to the 2nd dog. I like the sire much better than Kimbo but it is hard to see him clearly with the dark shadows.

Regardless of pedigree you need to know the faults of your dog and find a stud that compliments her weak areas and she corrects his.

So I am confused - you have picked a sire - you are spaying her on 3rd heat and yes for heavens sake guard her like a hawk when she is outside - Male dogs can be very persistent and a fence is little deterent to a determined male.