1.  In order to post messages and view attached files in this forum, you must be a registered member of doberman-chat.com

Please take a look around, and feel free to 

Nose pokes and feet!!!

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by pawpads, Jun 20, 2012.

1. pawpads

pawpads Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Rits just commented on her thread about Paige using nose pokes to kill flies and that made me wonder.

Does your dobe (or other dogs) nose poke? Flakor and Uzi do it a lot. Like when you come home and they smell you up and down to "see" where all you went that day. Mine will be snuffling then do the nose jab! It doesn't matter to them the location either...:oops: I have gotten over the feeling of violation finally. :eek2:
    It doesn't even have to be on my return. I get nose pokes a lot! They even do it to each other. The little guys don't do this. And I've never had another breed do it. I mean I have seen dogs do it, to the ground or other dogs or a cat but never to me or a family member or friend. My first dobies did this too. It's not a problem and it's not done in dominance (which I have seen some dogs do in that state).

It's like it's part of their clown personality that they only show to their loved ones....you know, gotta keep up that "Big Bad Dobe" persona in front of newbies!:rolleyes:

Oh...and the feet. The two dobies step on my bare feet ALL the time!! It happens mostly when I'm letting them in the sliding glass door. I'll be barefoot on the carpet and they step on my foot as soon as they cross the threshold.I have had so many perfectly shapes muddy paw prints on top of my feet that I can't even count them all! I really think they do it on purpose bc they know I have OCD issues with my feet being dirty!! I think I have pics somewhere...I'll have to dig them up.
  2. Rits

Rits Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, both of mine do the nose pokes. Ok...now it's starting to worry me they are part doberman, lol! We call Java "dooberman" because her nick names escalated from Java...Jabbas...to Doobs and then dooberman. I think she got the name dooberman after watching her curl up in the tightest doberball ever. Then, we have the nose pokes and the following us everywhere. But yeah, when we get home we get the full run down of "decontamination" process to see where we've been along with excited sneezes...so we get a nice shower too of dog snot. :weird:

The dogs have no mind to where my feet are...they are dainty out in the rain to avoid stepping in the smallest puddle but all of a sudden they have elephant feet when it comes to stepping on my feet.
  3. zmchristopher

zmchristopher Addicted Member

Oh my life, Just yesturday I settle down with a bar of chocolate and glass milk in my hand and what did the little bugger do NOSE JABBED MY HAND HOLDING MILK! Argghhh! Milk all over me! :eek: Zeus does it also to my ornaments! arghhh and bare feet, I no longer do it, I know he will step on me and break one of my toes these days lol!:rolleyes:
  4. pawpads

Yay!!! I'm not alone!! :dance: I like it when others share my "pain"!!
  5. kaloric

kaloric Veteran Member

I thought the nose poking was one of the hallmarks of the breed. My previous girl would frequently nose-bump my hand or arm if she wanted attention, every other Dobe owner I knew said their dogs always did that too. No silly antics or barking, she would just poke and wait, then poke again if she didn't get my attention right away.

Kira, on the other hand, while she still pokes with her nose, also tends to be more pushy. This is especially the case in the morning when she wakes-up and wants to play, at which point she tries to shove her head under my head or an arm & flip me out of bed. She also tries to flip the kitty with her nose, which doesn't amuse the kitty very much.
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

LOL, I definitely think it does go along with the breed. Both of the boys (Albert and Boris) are/were huge nose pokers and that's how we know Boris was starting to trust someone when he'd come up behind them and give them a sly poke. Della really doesn't do it, but she is a paw girl and is constantly using her paw to put on our arm or leg saying "I'm here". ;)

I won't let them spin out on my feet though since it hurts way too much so that's something that's off limits. Not that it hasn't happened a time or two, but being a barefoot person too it's just not pleasant.
  7. Rits

Rits Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Paige does that too along with her nose pokes! She always has to be reaching out with her paw and touching us. You move, she reaches further. I dunno why but she has to be on her back when doing this. Silly dogs.
    EARL97850, Judith Whelan and JanS like this.
  8. Mad Vic!

Mad Vic! Member

My wife cracks up with Victor all the time for "nose poking". Anytime he walks past it's a poke here and a poke there.
    Clean trousers on just ready to go somewhere and it's poke poke, also after he has a drink and the water is running down his chin it's poke or sits his chin on your lap to leave a nice big damp patch!
  9. pawpads

Oh....I don't let them!! It just happens! The ground that is in front of where the deck starts is dirt. When it rains or even with the the morning dew (lot of grass everywhere else) that dirt/mud patch coats the bottom of their feet. I have an area rug in from of the sliding glass door just bc of it. They do have to wait until I give them the ok to come through the door but once I do it never fails that one of them steps on my foot! It's doesn't hurt...no nail scratches. Just a dirty paw print! I hate the feel of dirt on my feet!! Ahhhhh!!:shock:

Maybe I can teach them to wipe their feet? You know...like the foot kick thing they do after the use the bathroom! :cool:
  10. pawpads

Oh, this happens everyday! Why are dobes such messy drinkers??? I keep a place mat under the water bowl and a towel near by for floor clean up!
    Judith Whelan, kaloric and JanS like this.
  11. JanS

Oh Albert is so bad that it was actually seeping into the basement so I put a rubber floor mat for the car under the bowl. That helped a lot, but not enough for him so now I moved up to one of the rubber livestock pans and it works great. A bowl in a bowl if you will. ;)
  12. pawpads

That's a good idea. But as mine walk away from the bowl they leave a trail....so then I have to towel it up.
  13. Mad Vic!

Mad Vic! Member

This sounds very familiar.
    My last dobe never made much mess when drinking but with Vic it's 3 or 4 laps the he throws his head back as if he's drinking a shot! I'll try and get a video posted when I can.

He actually likes to drink straight from the tap or from a bottle which is handy when out for a walk, keeps away from mucky puddles.
  14. DoubleDogDare

DoubleDogDare Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Dylan has similar issues to all of your dogs. He nearly broke my foot by "spinning out" on it a few months ago. Now, when he gets too close, I gently step on his toes, and say "watch your feet" and it's pretty much stopped. He jumped into my husband's lap (who was stupidly sitting on the floor - duh) and spun out on his, um, manly parts. They weren't so manly for a while after that.

He also nose pokes. He's sneaky and quick, because he knows I hate it. Funny enough, he only does it to Dave and I, never the kids. Not sure why the distinction. He absolutely knows that the baby is off limits. One nose poke, and the poor little guy would tip over! But his favorite person to nose poke is our cleaning lady, Trish. He loves Trish! He follows her all around the house while she cleans, stealthily waiting for her to bend over a toilet or tub, then BANG! He pokes her right in the crack. Scares the crap out of her every time, as she's half deaf and never hears him coming. I laugh my butt off every time, and every time I hear her yell, "You'd better not be laughing, Erin!!"

The water thing? Yuck. Double yuck. I now have a special pair of rubber-soled house slippers that I wear at all times, because nothing grosses me out more than stepping in dog drool. Guh. I hate that! We got smart, though. I made it Jason's (he's my #2 kid, the 4-year old) personal mission to stay on top of the drink-drool. We wrapped a bunch of paper towels around the end of a Swiffer mop, reduced the handle by one section so it's nice and short for Jason, and he follows Dylan around mopping up all the messes. Who said child labor is a bad thing?

But I think, by and far, Dylan's strangest deal is what we call the "grizzly swipe". It's usually when he's uber-excited, or when I "free" him from obedience work. It's like he just can't help himself. He jumps up, and at the same time, reaches out and whacks me right across the thigh with his big ol' front paw. And I'm telling you, he hits me hard! He has left some serious bruises on my upper thighs from the grizzly swipe. He doesn't do it to anyone else. I guess I'm special.
  15. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Sophie is notorious for nose pokes. My previous, Pansi did it all the time as well. And speaking of being messy drinkers, Sophie's favorite thing to do is to drink and then come and do the nose poke to share the love and water. No one in the home is immune to her pokes, especially her favorite cat, our feral adoptee, Koal. Weird though, she is very dainty with her nose pokes to me, but with Brian, who does the more rough-housing play with her, she actually takes running starts and does like superman nose pokes. I'm surprised they don't leave bruises.:D This is definitely her signal to him that it is time to PLAY!!!!

As far as the foot thing. My opinion is that she is always wanting to be soooo close that she doesn't even realize that is stomping on me. We have to share the same space. She is usually closer than my shadow if that is possible.
  16. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Just saw DDD's post. You are not alone with the swipe. This is Sophie's go to tactic to get her way when pokes aren't cutting it. Like at the vet's office last week. First we look at the door. Then give big puppy eyes and whine with the poke. Then when all else has failed, time for the swipe, like "come on mama, let's go". No bruises, but I carry these scratches for some time if I am wearing shorts when it happens. She has great aim with those feet!
  17. JanS

LOL, apparently we're all birds of a feather with some of these thing.

In fact I was trying to get a pic of Della this morning when she was bored with the rain and was trying to convince we we her little feet, but for some reason my shutter didn't go in time. :confused: Anyway, here's one from a while back where she was looking sweet using her paws as a breaking point. ;)
    Paws on chair 2 Nov 30 10 sized.jpg
  18. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Addicted Member Site Sponsor $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hans would nose poke more if he weren't second in line for "the big sniff" when I get home. Ladybug is so pushy and dominant that he hardly stands a chance to sniff me over. He tried once and wound up getting his ear pierced by teeth :( It healed well.

Hans put the foot to me thismorning though! Holy cow! I didn't see it coming. He often stands up on my chair with his front feet, but he decided to really get my attention with a foot to the gut! It made me "Ouch" out loud. He wanted his breakfast but it was an hour early.
  19. pawpads

Imagine Uzi is Della in that exact position only her butt is on the couch with her back to the back of the couch (me on the edge of the couch with her right behind me) and her paws on my shoulder blades!! This is a common sight in my house. :blush:
    She then proceeds to give me ear snuffles every 30 seconds! :tap:
  20. fehnder

fehnder Veteran Member Hot Topics Subscriber

you have to love ear snuffles though!