1.  In order to post messages and view attached files in this forum, you must be a registered member of doberman-chat.com

Please take a look around, and feel free to 

Hooded vulva?(Anatomical Picture Warning)

Discussion in 'Doberman Health issues and questions' started by Anunukai, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Anunukai

Anunukai Active Member

My 9month old dober girl is currently in her first heat cycle.Her vulva is weird looking,kinda like is got a hood over the ''hole'' and her Vee-jay is sucked up in.

Here is a pic of her back end/vulva.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since this is my first dobergirl,i'm not sure WHAT it's supposed to look like........
    Is she normal?? or is she an innie?
    Marinegeekswife likes this.
  2. TrinityDobes

TrinityDobes Novitiate

How many days in heat is she? for a first heat some girls do not get really huge and swollen, but I am guessing she is just not very far along and when she swells all the way that the whole vulva will get swollen.

Below is a photo of my girl who is just 5 days after the first show of blood - this is her 3rd season and if it is like last time - she will get twice as big as this - now Raven - uhhhhhhh she for a first heat @ 8 months got HE-UGE about the size of a large lemon :eek: hehehe
    5 days in heat vulva.jpg

I got to tell you - The conversation always comes around to poop "consistency" when chatting with my dog girl friends *LOL* we laugh about it all the time, and now on the forum we are discussing female vulvas:rofl:
    Cathy43, Damasyn, Apollo and 2 others like this.
  3. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Addicted Member

Probably the heat, Fate and her sister Della had an 'inverted vulva' before they even went into heat...(there is a thread somewhere) Jan and I let the girls go through their first heat to try and fix it... it did the trick for Fate, and I think it worked for Della as well... I wouldnt worry about it til after the heat, when all the swelling goes away, then see what your working with :D

i always try NOT to take a picture of that area... LOL, i got one of Fate when she was coming out of heat, luckily she didnt get HUGE like a lot of dobes i have seen...

[​IMG]
    My Mateese, Damasyn and Apollo like this.
  4. Anunukai

Anunukai Active Member

She is day 4-5 of blood and is still bleeding.I just never had seen a vulva have that droop over it like she has. My GSD were all big swellers and the Vee-jay stuck out straight back and looked swollen to the size of a lemon with a clear veiw of the ''hole''.My american pit bull terrier ''Bella'' is what has given me a ''complex'' and paranoid about abnormal Vee-jays. Her's led to the discovery that Bella is,well..... not 100% female.She turned out to be intersexed.Yes, Bella the apbt is a hermie.Now after that,I am all paranoid about anything looking 'unusual' back there.I mean,I assumed maybe Rosie had a reccessed vulva(since it looks wierd) and was worried about her getting a pyo from it.(sorry,I may be a tad overprotective of my girl and reading all of the horrorstories of IVs in dogs,dying from pyo and having chronic issues.it's enough to worry you.)

Now for Rosie,her vee-jay is draining the menstrual bleeding just fine,and she has good control with the bladder.She's doing wonderful keeping herself clean,and I removed the diapers because I was worried about her getting a UTI.So she's hangin' in the breeze now. I just wanted to know if she was an ''innie'' so I could make sure she doesn't have ''issues'' if she was.
    So from what you are saying,I should expect more swelling and it should pop out more? Does she look 'normal' for a dobie female on her first heat or is she looking more like an innie?
    My Mateese and Trinitydobes like this.
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

Yes, I have a thread in this forum and it's a sticky called "Inverted vulva and it's treatment". It did the trick for Della and Fate, so hopefully it will help your little girl out too. :)
  6. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Addicted Member

Fate didnt swell anymore than she did in that pic... so you may just luck out and have a 'normal' dog :) Just hang loose... I know for both Fate and Della it actually helped with UTI's...
    Trinitydobes likes this.
  7. Cathy43

Cathy43 Member

Fei is currently on day 8 of bleeding and she has progressed since day 4-5 to a more normal looking swollen vulva. She was inverted previously so don't worry, it ain't over yet.;)
  8. Anunukai

Anunukai Active Member

She appears to have corrected herself.Her innie is now an outtie!!!! :dance:
  9. Anunukai

Anunukai Active Member

oops! Double posting.......... :oops:
    Trinitydobes likes this.