1. Welcome to Doberman Chat.

Hello Guest, you are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! 

Floppy ear tips

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by NorthernDobes, Sep 17, 2011.

1. NorthernDobes

NorthernDobes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I didn't know if maybe someone knew how to deal with floppy ear tips. Filo's still being posted but when his ears are down the ear tips are really floppy. They seem really thick and it's about an inch that flops. He has a long cut, and I know some people use breath rite strips, but he is still being posted too. Is there anything I can do to the tips to make them more stable while posted?

I tried tape but it just seemed to make them heavier. They are tipping inwards a bit too. He has pretty thick ear leather, more then what Im use to working with. We plan to post for a long time, but it does not seem like the tips are progressing at all.

Can I use breath rite under the tape while posting? Or is there something better?

Thanks. I will try to post some pictures of his ears next time they are down.
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    ALT CH Dellazz Basic Instinct
    Hurricane Albert di Andromeda
    I haven't gotten that far yet with Albert, but I "think" the ears strengthen from the bottoms up, so if you continue posting the way you are I'm sure they'll firm up as you go.
    It will also help to massage them before you repost to loosen them up - especially if he had thick leather.
    How old is he again?

I know Albert's are still really jiggly at the tops even though they stand pretty well, so we are probably going to have to go until he's at least 6 months old (maybe longer) with his longer show crop too.
  3. NorthernDobes

NorthernDobes Active Member

Best Answers:
    He's almost 5 months now. But he was cropped at like 12 weeks. Everything seems to be standing fine, they just are so floppy at the tips. He has a really curved fancy tip as well. Seems like that makes it heavier.
  4. JanS

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    I'm sure it's a matter of just posting them longer then with the longer crop.
    The pics will be very helpful too when you get a chance. :)
  5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Echoruns Ezekiel's Dream (Zeke) CGC, TDI, CD, BH, TT, CDX, RN, TR-1, OB-1, RA
    Dobewan's Notorious Red Alert (Redman) CGC, TDI, CD, BH, TT, RN, RA
    I would keep posting at least until after 6 months. If it is just the tips and the base is good you are getting close, ifthe tip is curling over the head we would just take a strip of kendall tape or the waterproof Johnson & Johnson tape and put a strip inside the ear. Remember to start at the base and stretch the ear up as you apply the tape. Hope this helps you out. Be sure and clean the inside of the ear good before applying the tape so it sticks.
  6. Rits

Rits Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Amanda
    Dogs Names:
    CA UJJ Java (Lab)
    Paige (APBT/EPx)
    I also have always heard the tips are the last thing that stands. Just keep posting... just keep posting... lol. :)
    NothernDobes and JanS like this.
  7. JanS

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    I forgot to add that I also add a little Knox Gelatine to their food while they're being posted. I'm not sure if it helps, but it's supposed to help build the cartilage so it sure can't hurt either. :)
    NothernDobes and Rits like this.
  8. Denissov43

Denissov43 Addicted Member

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Pride of Russia's Red Rose aka Gemma Rose, and Dura Lex Polonia Fado Saava aka Baba
    He has a superlong show crop.... we posted Gemma's ears till she was 11 months old and then once or twice again after she was 12 months old. Her tips would flop when she ran and or moved and sometimes tehy still do and she is 19 months.
    You have a long way to go... keep posting till he is about 8-9 months and consider that it may take till he is a year... or longer. I know of people who were posting their dogs ears at 18 months! Its a process
    NothernDobes likes this.
  9. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    I would put him on vitamin C 500 mg AM and PM. It does help with ears and is a good antioxidant.

I have never had to post beyond 7 months, but I like a nice crop that will stand with a minimum of problem. The crop was never meant to be so long that they look like donkey ears and is one of the things many complain about today - we have gone overboard on the extral long crops just as we have gone overboard on the refinement..
    SandyinKS and Marinegeekswife like this.
  10. Denissov43

Denissov43 Addicted Member

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Pride of Russia's Red Rose aka Gemma Rose, and Dura Lex Polonia Fado Saava aka Baba
    Its true the super long show crops take alot of work.. I like them with the tips curve just a bit which is why I let Gemma's tips do what they do. I love the look from a profile and from a straight on compared to the straight 'knife edge' look I see in the AKC show rings. Those ears are straight straight straight up and no curve at all and I just do not like that look.... I love this look here; all are Russian dogs with a super long show crop with a curve and all took a year or more to get to stand like this:

GEM ON TREE PROFILE 2.jpg faraon_mys hersones.jpg golda grace de grand vinko.jpg italy teraline head.jpg
  11. Nixie

Nixie Well-Known Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Dogs Names:
    Vegas & Nixie
    The ears on your black doberman look just like Nixie's right now and she is 5 months. She does have a bit of infection so I cannot post for about a week. She just has a bit of a curve at the top 1/4 inch of the ear. I tried the breath rite strips but she scratches her ear and takes them out. LOL

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thick floppy ear tip leaning inward doberman

2. taping tips of doberman ears

3. how to post the tip of dobemans ears

4. doberman pincher dogs with floppy ears,
  5. strengthening doberman cropped ears,
  6. tips to getting a dobermans ears to stand,
  7. doberman cropped ears thick scarred tips a little gloppy,
  8. doberman ear tips curling,
  9. floppy doberman ear