1. Welcome to Doberman Chat.

Hello Guest, you are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! 

Ear Infection?

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Alexispaulg, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Alexispaulg

Alexispaulg New Member

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Alexis
    Dogs Names:
    Guardian, Valkyrie, Ankhsenamun, Destroyer, Layla, Lukas, ShiShi, Sophie and Aya
    So i started taping Guardian's ears with the backer rod, wrapped up in duct tape, post surgical glue and the breathable tape. But last night i saw she got the rod out of the right bell (nothing new) so i took it all off and it smelled bad like a infection (we had the problem before we went to quckbrace) i cleaned them out good like i always do and didnt see ANYTHING inside and no color change inside. so i put them back up and then i caught her crying rubbing her face on her bed in her crate. Is this a ear infection or something else?

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    ALT CH Dellazz Basic Instinct
    Hurricane Albert di Andromeda
    It does indeed sound like an infection so if she's crying and rubbing her face I would get her in asap to have the vet do a swipe to see if it is one so it can be treated accordingly. Sometimes those things can hang around for a long time without you knowing it and that could very well be why she's been getting the right post out if it's bothering her. Poor baby. :(

I would take the posts out and use the quick brace again for now if it does smell like an infection so it doesn't intensify in the mean time.

Let us know how it goes.
    Alexispaulg and Archer like this.
  3. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    I would probably be more cocnerned that the tape was too tight. I have done 100's of ears and they do smell when you takem down. Since it is the holiday if you can't get her to vet for check I use 2 drops of tea tree oil and tsp of mineral oil and a tbls of witch hazel and put in the ear then clearn with alcohol. Let air out for 2 hours before reposting. That will get you through til you can see a vet and if it is not an infections then you save a trip.

Be sure you are not wrapping too tight.
    Gelcoater, MicheleM and Alexispaulg like this.
  4. Alexispaulg

Alexispaulg New Member

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Alexis
    Dogs Names:
    Guardian, Valkyrie, Ankhsenamun, Destroyer, Layla, Lukas, ShiShi, Sophie and Aya
    im not doing it to tight I did her sister fine and her are standing 100% great now. i know how they should smell and how they can smell kinda like dirty socks. I have some drops (if i can find them) i got when my pug got a ear infection. its just kinda different than before. yah my vet isnt open though the holiday....
    I popped them out of her bell and cut the ends off so they are still being posted but not in her ear, i would use the quickbrace again but im out of them. when i use them its almost like it makes them sag more and brake when i use them.
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    ALT CH Dellazz Basic Instinct
    Hurricane Albert di Andromeda
    I had a similar experience when I tried them after the fact so like I said before, I don't think they're the best option after they're ready for regular posting. As for being out of them - it's very easy to just get all of the old tape off and putting new stuff on the original wires. FWIW. ;)
  6. Alexispaulg

Alexispaulg New Member

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Alexis
    Dogs Names:
    yah i tried that... it didnt work at all for me

Users found this page by searching for:

1. doberman ears infected when to re-post