Doberman ear posting - improved method

Ears are still standing but they wobble around when she "jog's" around. Is that normal? (it's about the same that is was 2months back).

Is the wobble toward the tip? I've found that longer crops usually do wobble when they run, but Della's never do. How long has she been unposted now?

I am so glad to have found this thread...have got my supplies but for the tape. Am I correct in thinking that any cloth, porous/breathable tape will work? I'm not having any luck finding the Curity up here where I am. ( Canada, out in the boonies ) I'll start looking for the Elastikon tape as well but any other suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

The Zona's tape will also work, or even the white sport tape can be used since it's nearly the same, except wider.

You could also look on E-bay since I'm sure there are quite a few who ship to Canada, or even sell within the country.

We're getting a male puppy next week. I really like this method.
But we live in Rincon, Puerto Rico and so far I can't find shipping here, one was $112!
So does anyone know how to get these supplies here in PR?
Zona's Tape or Curtis porous
Torbot or Osto bonding cement
UniSolve
thanks,
bill

Hi and welcome! You might be able to try your vet for things like the tape and I used to get our bonding cement and Unisolve at our local medical supply store.

I just had my puppies stitches pulled and on the same day had the supplies for this method delivered! Yay! It is much easier to manage than anything else I have tried!

I do have one question. The bottom of the taped tube keeps falling out of her ear canal. I will add a pic of that. Is this because of her crop or am I doing something wrong?

When I have them in place her ears stand in the position they should be but then they pop out and fold into her head. I know you said if they tend to do that to use the number method but I was not sure that applied here.

Thank you so much for the method and any help you can give! I am a first time doberman mommy and first time having done an ear crop. What an adventure but it has created such a bond between Saeda and I!1433268813081-191190538.jpg 1433268879351-1446245437.jpg

I am curious also to know the answer since Bob has the same problem with one ear, and please explain the number method

Welcome and what a cute pup!

The posts aren't in the canal correctly in the top pic and they need to go as deep into the canal as you can get them. Don't worry, you can't hurt them because the canal is shaped so you can't go too deep.
The second photo looks much better but I can't tell how deep the posts are in the canal. Like I said, the most important thing is to get them in as far as you can get them, then stretch the ear up nice and tight before you tape it.
You don't need the bumpers unless they start forming pockets later on, but they shouldn't providing you can get the posts seated right.

Don't hesitate to ask questions as you go. :)

Thank you. I will pop em in there deeper! I will definitely be asking plenty of questions! I want to make sure I do this right; I just love it when the ears stand tall and proud!

Hello again! I have some updated photos of Saeda and would like your opinion on how I am doing here. Her ears are standing much better now but something seems to be a little off. I did finally get her to stop shaking the posts out of her ears. Yay!

The one ear seems to be curving forward quite a bit. I don't know if that is something I can change or it that just happens to be the way it looks. Her other ear is still bending at the same place, thought it does stand more now than they did before. Right after I remove all the bandages and what not both ears stand strong, then the right one slowly loses its firmness and she holds it pretty flat. Thank you again got all the help! 14341612512972028353276.jpg 1434161304016275338472.jpg

I can't really tell from the angle of the pic, but you're going to need many more months of posting. Most of us go until they're at least 6 months.

Do you have any new photos of her posted so we can see if something looks out of place?

BTW, she's a cutie!

Huaband and i tried your tutorial and i believe it turned out pretty well! Ordered all of the producfs through amazon was here in only a day or two.

Attachments

• 20150624_222940.jpg
    20150624_222940.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 30
Ok I broke down and ordered torbot glue cuz I'm curious and want to try something new. I have a question lol if I use the glue do I still need to put tape around the ears ? Or will be it be fine without it? I have unisolve and all that :)

have a question lol if I use the glue do I still need to put tape around the ears ? Or will be it be fine without it?
I believe it will be fine without it. My vet used torbots and didn't need any additional tape but he also didn't use backer rod he used the zip ties and molefoam.

I believe it will be fine without it. My vet used torbots and didn't need any additional tape but he also didn't use backer rod he used the zip ties and molefoam.
Thank you :) I'll see if it works :) don't have to re do them till tomorrow and I was gonna test his ears for a few hours so I'm crossing my fingers

Back