1.  In order to post messages and view attached files in this forum, you must be a registered member of doberman-chat.com

Please take a look around, and feel free to 

Urgent! do not use these dog treats

Discussion in 'Doberman Health issues and questions' started by Judith, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Judith

Judith Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

DO NOT PURCHASE ANY OF THESE ITEMS FOR YOUR DOGS!!
    WARNING TO ALL PET OWNERS!!!!
    And add Ol' Roy from Walmart (UGH, VILE) to the LIST!! Pay attention; your pets lives depend on it. Justice For Fizzoli

So far, the list of brands with treats made in China or that are being linked to pet illness and deaths are:

Waggin Train
    Canyon Creek Ranch
    Dogswell
    Booda Bones – Aspen Pet
    Milo’s Kitchen
    American Kennel Club
    Hartz
    Dingos
    *Beefeaters*
    Cadet
    Sargents
    Ever Pet (Dollar General)
    Home Pet 360
    Walgreen’s new brand – Simple
    TheKingdomPets
    Benefuk
    Beggin' Strips
    Pupperoni
    Canine Carryout
    Snausages

ANYTHING CONTAINING PROPYLENE GLYCOL
    If your pet has eaten tainted treats, symptoms may include:
    Decreased appetite
    Decreased activity
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Increased water consumption
    Increased urination
    Lethargy
    Anal/Rectal bleeding
    Seizures
  2. AxelRose

AxelRose Veteran Member

Wow that is a big list. Thank god I don't feed any kind of treats with dye in them like pupperoni. These recalls are getting out of hand...When are the pet food company's going to wake up and stop using China for cheap manufacturing? Just sickening. Too bad more people would see the dangers and start feeding real food and we could put some of these companys out of business. They really need a good shaking, but people always go back and support them by purchasing their crap for their dogs after the recalls. None of these companys ever go out of business...WHY?? I can only shake my head :shakinghead:
  3. pawpads

pawpads Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm glad my dogs don't get any of these either!! That is so sad. Think of all the people who buy these items and no nothing of the risk....they are just shopping a say, "I bet Fluffy would like this!" The Pet industry is HUGE!!!! How can they get away with this kind of thing for so long with so many brands!?:mad:
    Max Hawk, Dragonborn and Judith like this.
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

Thanks for posting this Judith. The lists keep growing every day and it's really scary.
  5. Ataro

Ataro Veteran Member

It's easy to say why do people keep buying this stuff but in some cases (like in Mexico), it's the only food and treats available. There is no better option and unless someone can afford to pay $80 USD for a bag of Diamond each month (the average Mexican earns closer to about $150 USD per month), they go with Pedigree or Ol' Roy. A friend of mine who is a vet feeds her dogs Pedigree, not because she believes it's a good food, but she just can't afford anything else. I'm willing to bet Mexico isn't the only country with this situation, and that's how these companies keep thriving.
    MicheleM, Max Hawk, kaloric and 3 others like this.
  6. Dragonborn

Dragonborn Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Very true Ataro.

Used to get Waggin Train chicken jerky...that went into the trash a long time ago!
    Max Hawk and Judith like this.
  7. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!! Judith whew the list is long ..I have to go back over it after this but I just wanted to thank you first! I am so glad I have always tried to stay away from the China stuff but just the other day my daughter had something and we didn't realize till we got it home that it was made in China going to take it right back to the store! :bag:
    pawpads and Judith like this.
  8. Judith

Judith Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

your quite welcome Maureen, the more we can share the better for our furkids :)
    MicheleM and pawpads like this.
  9. denisebier

denisebier Well-Known Member Hot Topics Subscriber

That is such a long list! Thank you so much for posting that. I recently tried making my own dog treats for my pups and to my surprise it was very simple and both my dogs LOVED them way more than any other treats I have bought for them. It's nice because you know exactly what goes in them :)
    MicheleM, fehnder and Judith like this.
  10. watson123

watson123 Addicted Member

THANK YOU!!! i think watson has ate some of those brands before:( i know some simple recipes so i'm not going to buy anymore of those brands. thank you for posting this!:)
    Judith likes this.
  11. Fulkster

Fulkster New Member

OK, this is confusing, I just checked the bag of Beggin Strips we have and it says it was Manufactured in St.Louis, Mo.
  12. Archer

Archer Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Thanks for the info! I don't feed any of these, but my parents give their dogs Beggin' Strips. Dad says "They have to be better for them than Bacon" Haha! I keep buying them Wellness treats for their dogs, but once they're gone they go back to the other crap. It's frustrating. I did however finally get them to switch to a 5 star dog food!! Everything in baby steps, I guess :)
  13. CRD

CRD DCF Staff Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I fed canyon creek ranch treats for awhile. U think I still have half a bag left over. I'm done with all this crap. From now on when using treats its going to be hotdogs for training, and chunks of raw for treats.

I am so damn tired of these companies putting our pets at risk. Where are the standards?????
    Tasha & Boris' Mom likes this.
  14. Marko1962

Marko1962 Veteran Member Hot Topics Subscriber

STICKY!!!!! :)
  15. Luca & Co

Luca & Co Designated Dobermobile Driver Site Sponsor $ Forum Donor $

Pop on over to the Receipe thread for our Doberkids if you havent already and post!! :)

Recipes Please | Doberman Chat Forum: Talk About Doberman Pinschers
  16. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Addicted Member $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Propylene Glycol is used as a preservative,and considered by the FDA "safe"

It's also used in the making of gelcoat and fiberglass resin,and why it needs to be in food is beyond me?....from the interweb.....
    45 % of propylene glycol produced is used as chemical feedstock for the production of unsaturated polyester resins. In this regard, propylene glycol reacts with a mixture of unsaturated maleic anhydride and isophthalic acid to give a copolymer. This partially unsaturated polymer undergoes further crosslinking to yield thermoset plastics. Related to this application, propylene glycol reacts with propylene oxide to give oligomers and polymers that are used to produce polyurethanes.[4]

That part about unsaturated polyester resin caught my eye,gelcoat is a pigmented polyester or vinylester resin,as well as iso,ortho, or iso/ortho blends.The further crosslinking they refer to is the addition of MEKP,Methyl Ethel Keytone Peroxide.Once added the chemical reaction promotes crosslinking of the two create a hard surface.Interesting process,the byproduct of this crosslink effect is the production of heat,called exothermic heat.It can (under normal use) get to about 95ish*,give or take.In the waste bucket at work where we will stack layer upon layer in a short time,it can get to a little over 140*!!!!
    Rits likes this.
  17. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Addicted Member $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I just noticed this:D
    Judith likes this.
  18. Luca & Co

Luca gets Dingo Dental Sticks from Pet Smart. The bag says they are made in OH. Its only anight time treat. But he has gotten these since we brought him home (mainly bc it took him forever to eat one as a pup) and he never has shown any problems. .....what do you think??

Also I looked at these today at Petsmart but I did not buy them. They are on the list but made in the USA. The only ingredients in this was chicken and vegetable glycenern (sp?)....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11453844&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
    Judith likes this.
  19. CRD

CRD DCF Staff Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If there is even a slight chance that Luca could get sick why risk it? I won't lay with fire when there is a fire extinguisher in sight.

I'm sure you can find Luca some other treat you approve of I'm sure luca will approve as well. They really aren't picky with treats, no sense in risking it.
    Judith likes this.
  20. Luca & Co

Well yeah I get that but im more curious. How are they tainted? Are they only recalling stuff from China and stuff with that ingredient in it? Is there an offical recall out? I just want to do my homework since he has gotten these already (dingo sticks). And I'm just so curious about the ones I linked from petsmart. They didn't have a bunch of junk in them. Is it a specific treat by that company? Where is the detailed info? I would like to read it. I won't be getting him those treats because of this thread but I like to know things and digest it.

I ended up getting him so treats by wellness. He is a fan.
    Judith likes this.