1.  In order to post messages and view attached files in this forum, you must be a registered member of doberman-chat.com

Please take a look around, and feel free to 

Dander Allergies

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by brad, Mar 10, 2012.

1. brad

brad Novitiate

Hello,

I am looking for a bit of advice I suppose. I would like to get a doberman a european breed. I have an allergy to dander it seems from being around labs/rotties. However I have a weiner dog at work that licks me from head to toe and rolls all over me and does not bother me. I am just wondering where the doberman falls? Do they shed alot, is there lots of dander. I am just trying to do some research prior to purchasing one!

Thanks,
    Judith and Rits like this.
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

Hi Brad and welcome! Doberman's don't shed nearly as much as labs and Rotts, but they do shed a couple times a year, like almost all breeds. Being that their hair is so short the cleanup is minimal, and I'm also an allergy sufferer but the Dobe's don't bother me in the slightest. I think a good diet also helps keep the dander at a minimum.
  3. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome from Colorado. In dry climates the Doberman can have quite a bit of dander. This can be controlled with a good diet and supplementing with fish oil. The shedding can be controlled with weekly brushing outside with a rubber curry comb. Do you know anyone with a Doberman? Some exposure to them would be the best way to determine if they're the right breed for you.
    Judith and Rits like this.
  4. brad

brad Novitiate

Thanks so much for the reply. I am just sitting on the fence at the moment waiting to arrange a get together with a doberman before I look to a breeder!
    JanS, Marinegeekswife and Judith like this.
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

Good plan so you know ahead of time if it will work for you. Let us know what you find out!
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree with Jan, we have not had any allergy problems in our family with this breed and we all have allergies. When we had our boxer I would have to wash thoroughly after playing with him or I would break out with itchy skin and eyes. None of us have had any issues with either of our dobermans. Shedding is minimal and I agree proper diet and supplements help with there coats. Good luck with your search and I would definitely get some exposure to test yourself since everyone's allergies are different.
    Marinegeekswife and JanS like this.