1. Welcome to Doberman Chat.

Hello Guest, you are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! 

Can you get natural ears to stand without cropping?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by hexi99, Feb 3, 2010.

1. hexi99

hexi99 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont want to crop hexi's ears but i like the look of the cropped ears. I have seen way to many ear croppings gone wrong in my area and there is only one vet to do the ears now. Is there a way at the time of teething to tape the ears to stand? I did it with my boxer pit bull cross and was just wanting your opinion on if you have seen it done that way and how effective you think it will be on a doberman.

2. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Addicted Member $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Ingrid
    Dogs Names:
    Ladybug and Hans
    I seriously doubt that you could get an uncropped doberman's ears to stand... My boy has natural ears, and I gotta tell you- they are big ears and are not very thick... Even if you did manage to get an uncropped doberman's ears to stand, they just wouldn't look like cropped ears. Sometimes I hold Han's ears up just to see how the appearance of his face and neck would have been different with cropped ears, but his ears never look cropped just from being held up... You could try taping a natural puppy, but I honestly think the results would be awful. I'd imagine that you could get the bell of the ear to stand, but about half the ear would flop even if you taped from 8 weeks to 8 months. Of course it's your dog, your choice...
  3. iceman

iceman Addicted Member

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Kaiser & Nika
    Depending on the individual dogs ears, sometimes uncropped ears do stand up with no speciall effort ,but will not look as nice as cropped ears on a dobe head.

below photos show what they would look like if they stood up without cropped.
    MyBuddy likes this.
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Sharon
    Dogs Names:
    Buddy, Kali
    I never thought that would happen, Iceman, but it looks about what I would expect. Just getting the ears to stand isn't the whole issue....cropping them to shape is half of it.
  5. iceman

iceman Addicted Member

Best Answers:
    Dogs Names:
    Kaiser & Nika

Actually...cropping ears to the right shape is much more than half the job...
    Ear cropping is an ART only mastered by very few vets..
    Those who are really good at cropping, can even design ears to suit the individual pups head when they grow up.
    MyBuddy likes this.
  6. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Addicted Member $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Ingrid
    Dogs Names:
    Ladybug and Hans
    Holy smokes! I never thought it would or could happen either!!! I stand corrected, and yes, cropping is only part of getting a normal dobe's ears to stand- proper after care and posting have a lot to do with it as well.
    Maybe Hans' ear leather is thinner than average which led me to believe it was impossible to get a natural dobe's ears to stand. I'm glad Iceman posted those pics, but to tell the truth, I think those dogs look silly (from a strictly aesthetic point of view).
  7. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Best Answers:
    i saw that before, for a doberman in russia, i don't know if its the same dog, but i think it looks terrible, it don't loooks like a doberman anymore, like one of those spinx dogs.

@ hexi, you have two choises, you let the ears crop and then post, what will be a lot of work and big commitment or you leave them natural.
    Please don't do that to your dog, don't try to get uncropped ears to stand.
    if you don't have a good vet there or don't kow, where to go, please let them natural.
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

Best Answers:
    First Name:
    Sharon
    Dogs Names:
    Buddy, Kali
    I totally agree, Iceman, but you get my drift...that just making an ear stand isn't the issue in my opinion...it's cropping it to LOOK good too. And yes, I agree, it's an art that only a few are good at. Taking into consideration the pups head, shape and final size of the dog, is very important. And like Ingrid said, these ears might be standing but I have to agree with her on the aesthetic look of it. :no2:
  9. DLS

DLS Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Natural ears................means.........Natural ears! Leave em be!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get a dobermans ears to stand up

2. how to make dobermans ears stand up

3. naturally cropped ears

4. Doberman ear dift,
  5. why are doberman ears uncropped,
  6. will a dobermans ears stand straight naturally after cropping,
  7. doberman ears cropped naturally,
  8. getting ears to stand without cropping,
  9. How to get doberman pinschers ears to stand up without cropping,
  10. what do vets do to dopermans ears to make them stand up