1.  In order to post messages and view attached files in this forum, you must be a registered member of doberman-chat.com

Please take a look around, and feel free to 

Beneful Dog Food is Suspected of Causing Sickness and Deaths

Discussion in 'K9 Nutritional Care' started by deladobies, Mar 20, 2009.

1. deladobies

deladobies Active Member

Beneful Dog Food is Suspected of Causing Sickness and Deaths
    www.DoggyBling. com

HEALTH ALERT! …..

Discontinue use of Beneful until this is resolved!

Multiple Reports We have received multiple reports of dogs becoming sick or dying after eating Beneful dog food. The first reports were placed in our new forum and was overlooked by DoggyBling.com staff until we received direct emails last week and then another today. After speaking on the phone with the lady who emailed us today, we feel that there is sufficient cause for alarm. Dog lovers make a lot of effort to take good care of their dogs and will want to know if they are feeding them something that could be harmful. Most of the alerts by email, forum and phone cited Beneful dog food that was purchased at Wal Mart.

We spoke with Terri Culp at Beneful this morning and were assured that they are aware of the situation and are researching the problem. We assured them that this won’t go away and we would be alerting our email base of the problem and posting a news item on our site. We also told her that DoggyBling.com visitors and dog lovers everywhere would be evaluating the way the Purina Corporation (Parent to Beneful) handles the potential crisis.

Symptoms
    The symptoms reported have been very similar. The reported symptoms include some or all of the following: General weakness or sluggishness, glazed eyes, not interested in food or water, white gums, lack of control of bodily functions. Some of the callers reported dogs that have died and others say they had gotten sick but had recovered. I am inserting the first forum post about a dog that became sick, but didn’t die.

A week before Christmas we bought a bag of Beneful dog food at Wal-Mart, DeFuniak Springs, FL. On 12/23 I noticed a tan mold like growth on the dog food. Our 14 year old Dalmatian mix had been getting weaker by the day and by 12/24 she was near death. Glazed eyes, couldn’t stand, eat, drink or control her functions. Her gums were white. We had to carry her to the yard and hold her up so she could go. The only thing she would eat was ham and turkey scraps. I spoke with a microbiologist and she said the mold growing in the dog food was toxic. It took a week for Sparky to regain her strength. I did notify the manufacturer of Beneful, they were very sorry and are sending coupons. Said it was a rare happening.

Dobieone, Dobs4ever, MLR and 3 others like this.
  2. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

I am so sick... I fed Ali Beneful in the tub... if I find out it was contaminated and I killed her or rather the food did... I will hunt them down...
  3. Panama

Panama Addicted Member Hot Topics Subscriber

With the first 5 ingredients of their "Puppy Growth Formula" being
    Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat (does not state what type of animal the fat came from).

This surprises people?
  4. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

this is why you should read the ingredients to the dog food. oh jst please change her food, it will be better for her in the long run.

ugh I hate crappy dog food.
  5. megschristina

megschristina New Member

Not surprised at all...that stuff is crap.
  6. EmilyB

EmilyB Veteran Member Hot Topics Subscriber

It's interesting because I got a coupon for $7.50 for any size Beneful. Sounded way too generous.
  7. Neosmama

Neosmama Novitiate

My husband and I fed our dog top name foods for awhile. Recently my husband bought beneful to save money, I was very nervous about it due to the reputation and Neos sensitive tummy. Sure enough Neo didn't agree with it, but my husband thought it was cause it was a new food, so we used it . Yesterday he was still being his silly self, then I put him in his crate at bedtime woke up today and he vomited and went diarrhea everywhere, I put him outside to wash him. he was lethargic and not interested in eating, but he was drinking alot of water. I thought he may just have an upset stomach and then he started breathing heavy and his heart was beating rapidly and it was a loud beating in his stomach, he also gave up on walking. I called my friend asking if she knew of a close emergency vet and she came over. he had a seizure and whimpered ,and I went online real quick to find an open vet and then he died. He just died... I feel like screaming. This dog food killed him, every symptom he had pointed to salmonella poisoning. He is not table fed, he stayed indoors...The only thing he ate last was this nasty food. PLEASE, DO NOT FEED THIS GARBAGE TO YOUR PRECIOUS PET. Yes it saves a bit of money, but it's not worth it. I lost my baby. My kids lost their brother and best friend. please stay away from this food,
  8. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

My gosh I'm so sorry to hear that Neosmama... How very tragic... :(
  9. DoUrden

DoUrden Novitiate

Oh no! How tragic for poor Neo and for your family! I'm just floored that it happened so quickly...
    My condolences to you and yours.
    The sad truth is though, without a necropsy, they will probably get away with this....... :(
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Staff Member Hot Topics Subscriber

I am so saddened to hear your story. I wish there was something I can do or say to help you. I can tell you this.....I never have fed Beneful, nor will I ever, but I will also spread the word to others, as you have. Thank you for that. I only wish you didn't have to go through something like this and lose your precious pet. Hugs to you and your family. RIP Neos
  11. Dobiegirl

Dobiegirl Novitiate

OMG how horrible, I am so sorry this happened, my heart is breaking for you....so so sorry....
  12. Grayghost

Grayghost New Member

Beneful is garbage. Look at the contents. even if it does not make your dog sick, it is not making him/her healthy. It may sound hard, but if you cannot afford, or not want to pay for, quality food maybe you should not have a Dobermann.
  13. VonDoom

VonDoom Forum Founder Staff Member Administrative Staff

Thats pretty harsh, Considering an assortment of super premium dog food has only been on the market for maybe just over a decade or two. Dogs have historically done well on supermarket brands for decades.. I personally feed super premium dog food because i can not because i have to..
    Shadowlands and Michele like this.
  14. Michele

Michele Addicted Member

There are so many dog foods that are recalled. Some of the foods were good quality.

Pet Food Recall Products List
  15. Grayghost

Grayghost New Member

I said that it may sound hard, but the Dobermann owner has the responsibility of providing his/her fur friend with the best possible care, and that includes the food. I would disagree that "dogs have historically done well on supermarket brands for decades"; they survived, but these foods had inadequate levels of tissue building nutrients and caused many problems during the lifespan of these dogs. The inadequate nutrition of these foods is what led the late Robert Abady to develope his Abady Formula line of foods because he observed what these "supermarket brands" did to his Bouvier Des Flandres.

For 9+ years I owned a pet supply store and back then there were few choices in foods. Science Diet was the major premium[?] brand and I soon realized that it was an over promoted, terrible food, and that Science Diet did a great job of selling the military on using the soy based Maxinum Stress[the military food merely added a wormer] for those dogs that had to serve in the hell of Viet Nam. The poor dogs gave their all, were fed crap, and were lift behind when the U.S. pulled out.

The best food available back then was the Abady Formula; now there are many choices, but the Dobermann owner must still educate him/her self and must feed superior nutrition. I understand that if You have lost your job in the Obama economy you may have to compromise on your dog's food, but make it a good compromise.
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Staff Member Administrative Staff

This is an interesting conversation for both sides.
    While I agree with both points, there are indeed some of the top end foods that have had their share of problems. At the same time, I agree that it's a bit harsh to say that if you can't afford to feed the high end foods you shouldn't own a Dobermann. Regardless of the breed, the ingredient list is always the most important thing to look at and there are SO many with nothing but cheap fillers and you can easily tell by looking at any dogs coat whether they're getting a food with quality ingredients or a food with all of the fillers to give you volume, but not what the dog needs.
    We fed our GSP Science Diet all his life because our vet recommended it and it wasn't until much later that we found out that vets get a kickback for pushing certain foods, and that Science Diet was not a good food at all. He did live to almost 16 years old, but he suffered from hot spots almost his whole life as well, so I'm sure if he would have been getting the diet our Doberman's get now it wouldn't have been a problem....

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Oops, we were posting at the same time Grayghost... :)
  17. Dobieone

Dobieone Veteran Member

Very sorry to hear about that Neosmama. What a terrible thing to happen. We have enough concerns with our breed, but this is just wrong. Sorry for you and your family's loss.