When Getting “rescue” Dog Is “been There, Not Doing It Again..”

Pet Defense

RSS Poster
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/sns-wp-washpost-bc-dogs17-20140717,0,3379181.story By Erin Auerbach, Special To The Washington Post 11:20 p.m. CDT, July 17, 2014 “Why buy while those in shelters die?” It’s a pretty common mantra for pet rescue groups, one I’d taken to heart. Even as a kid, my family only adopted from shelters. As an adult, I got my dogs from rescue organizations, … Continue reading →
b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, according to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy, “more than 20 percent of people who leave dogs in shelters adopted them from a shelter.” [PD: We believe it is much higher than 20 or even 30%; recent study shows that potentially over 50% of shelter animals are returned within 6 months...

50% is a pretty staggering figure if you ask me. That is not much better than prison records of those released that end up back in prison. No one should be made to feel guilty over their decision. Each person at this time still has the right to choose the path they take. But in the past 50 years animal shelters have only GROWN not decreased. So we are actually enabling irresponsible people to continue being irresponsible and expect society to bail them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suzan,I get your point here and agree to an extent.Your last statement I don't entirely agree with though.It's somewhat a blanket statement that is not entirely accurate.
I won't go into all the possible scenarios but just use my scenario as an example...Rocky.
His first owner I'm sure picked him up with the best of intentions.Unfortunately for him and Rocky he was dealt a bad hand and health issues consumed him.He could no longer properly exercise the dog or properly care for him and he knew it.
In my opinion he did the responsible thing and gave him up and not only gave him up but gave him to a rescue that had Doberman specific ideals.Sure the rescue was "all breeds" but the gal had 4 Dobes of her own who are all involved in various dog sports.
From my perspective he was not irresponsible.
The same can be said for the rescue.She grilled me pretty good before she even agreed to let me come see him,and insisted we as a family come to meet him.She wanted to be sure where he was going was going to work for the dog,she had his best interest in mind.Again,not irresponsible.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant,I didn't intend for it to if it came across that way.

Hmm...this story sounds so familiar to me. in fact I could almost be the author.
IMHO, rescue organizations really only put a tiny band aid on a huge gaping wound. We HAVE to take a look at the real problem and find a solution.
The slogans like

“Why buy while those in shelters die?”
or "Adopt don't shop " really get under my skin. Are there tons of dogs in shelters? Yes. Is offering them up for adoption without looking at the cause the answer? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We all get caught up in our emotions and could easily make the mistake of seeing the cutest puppy ever and want to take him home. It is not until the puppy grows up and becomes a holy terror eating furniture and peeing all over the house that people realize they made a mistake.

Education is a long slow process. But we as responsible dog owners should be shouting from everywhere that it is a HUGE long term responsibility to own a dog. There are hard questions to ask yourself before you bring home that cute little guy.
To keep an animal out of rescue, the effort must begin long before the animal arrives. I know education works because I was at the store the other day. A little girl walks up and asks if she can pet my dogs. I said yes and thanks for asking. The little looked up at me and said you taught me to ask. You and your dogs came to my school and taught us about caring for and training dogs. I had to laugh when she said ...you also taught me that maybe I don't want one because I don't want to pick up dog poop.

So if we really want to keep dogs out of rescue, I believe we can all do a little part to educate people to at least think about the decision to bring a dog into your home. Even if it is as simple as when someone comments about how well trained your dog is. You can tell them that it is a pet owners duty to train because in the end it makes the whole house happier when you have a well trained k9 member. If time allows...explain the effort and in some cases the money it cost to get there . it helps...trust me.

In my opinion he did the responsible thing and gave him up and not only gave him up but gave him to a rescue that had Doberman specific ideals.Sure the rescue was "all breeds" but the gal had 4 Dobes of her own who are all involved in various dog sports. From my perspective he was not irresponsible.

Gel- I get your point but think about this - Where was the "good" breeder to take the dog back???? Yes I believe if he could not send the dog back to the breeder then he did the next best thing. But good breeders stand behind their dogs and take them back. Irresponsible people who "breed" take the money and run. They are not there to offer support of any kind.

Now finding a pure bred dog in rescues is not the norm because good breeders are responsible for their own. Most of the dogs in rescue are mutts. Someone's dog climbed the fence and 63 days down the road someone has an unplanned and unwanted litter - as soon as they are old enough they either dump them or sit in Wal-mart parking lot and give them away because they don't want to advertise them, screen them and/or feed and care for them. I stand by my statement for those reasons. If the two things above did not happen we would have far less dogs in rescue. So we enable the irresponsible just as we enable welfare by rewarding it for having more children. I am more mandatory spay/neuter (for humans) after the 2nd child either get tubes tied or loose benefits. It works for me.

Gel- I get your point but think about this - Where was the "good" breeder to take the dog back???? Yes I believe if he could not send the dog back to the breeder then he did the next best thing. But good breeders stand behind their dogs and take them back. Irresponsible people who "breed" take the money and run. They are not there to offer support of any kind.

Now finding a pure bred dog in rescues is not the norm because good breeders are responsible for their own. Most of the dogs in rescue are mutts. Someone's dog climbed the fence and 63 days down the road someone has an unplanned and unwanted litter - as soon as they are old enough they either dump them or sit in Wal-mart parking lot and give them away because they don't want to advertise them, screen them and/or feed and care for them. I stand by my statement for those reasons. If the two things above did not happen we would have far less dogs in rescue. So we enable the irresponsible just as we enable welfare by rewarding it for having more children. I am more mandatory spay/neuter (for humans) after the 2nd child either get tubes tied or loose benefits. It works for me.
Your point is valid and well taken.No argument he came from less than desirable breeding practices.However I do not know the circumstance by which he was bred.Do you?
I know it's out there but sometimes accidents happen.

Example...I know a guy on another board who has Dobermans.He's not a breeder.
His male was not yet 2 and not neutered...as is suggested by pretty much everyone for proper development.
He had another Dobe come to stay for a while when his owner had to leave town on business.Guess what?
Unplanned and maybe a hair irresponsible he never checked to see if the female was spayed.He assumed she was as that's pretty common these days.
He went about trying to find homes for these dogs,joined a couple of Doberman forums (including this one)to try to find good homes.
He was shunned,labeled a byb and treated horribly.
At the end of the day responsibility falls on him for a mistake,accidents do happen.

I agree about spay/neuter for humans,that made me chuckle:D

Gel I was not commenting on necessarily how he was bred but I do have to question WHERE was the breeder in all this??? If they were not there then the shoe fits.

As far as your example above I had to chuckle - It is pretty obvious when a bitch is in heat. It is messy in plain view. So I would have to question his intelligence in the very least. Yes it is sad he felt shunned here but this is not the place to advertise puppies for sale. So not sure it was shunning or just that was against the rules.

He should have contacted Doberman Rescue as that is what they do. Anyway sorry he felt shunned. Life is not always easy especially when you are dealing with a subject like above.

Gel I was not commenting on necessarily how he was bred but I do have to question WHERE was the breeder in all this??? If they were not there then the shoe fits.

As far as your example above I had to chuckle - It is pretty obvious when a bitch is in heat. It is messy in plain view. So I would have to question his intelligence in the very least. Yes it is sad he felt shunned here but this is not the place to advertise puppies for sale. So not sure it was shunning or just that was against the rules.

He should have contacted Doberman Rescue as that is what they do. Anyway sorry he felt shunned. Life is not always easy especially when you are dealing with a subject like above.
I believe he did get advise to go to DR,probably the only positive thing to come of his experience on the forums.
Yep,the shoe fits,I have no idea of the breeder.Nor do I know the circumstance.

Hmm...this story sounds so familiar to me. in fact I could almost be the author.
IMHO, rescue organizations really only put a tiny band aid on a huge gaping wound. We HAVE to take a look at the real problem and find a solution.
The slogans like

or "Adopt don't shop " really get under my skin. Are there tons of dogs in shelters? Yes. Is offering them up for adoption without looking at the cause the answer? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We all get caught up in our emotions and could easily make the mistake of seeing the cutest puppy ever and want to take him home. It is not until the puppy grows up and becomes a holy terror eating furniture and peeing all over the house that people realize they made a mistake.

Education is a long slow process. But we as responsible dog owners should be shouting from everywhere that it is a HUGE long term responsibility to own a dog. There are hard questions to ask yourself before you bring home that cute little guy.
To keep an animal out of rescue, the effort must begin long before the animal arrives. I know education works because I was at the store the other day. A little girl walks up and asks if she can pet my dogs. I said yes and thanks for asking. The little looked up at me and said you taught me to ask. You and your dogs came to my school and taught us about caring for and training dogs. I had to laugh when she said ...you also taught me that maybe I don't want one because I don't want to pick up dog poop.

So if we really want to keep dogs out of rescue, I believe we can all do a little part to educate people to at least think about the decision to bring a dog into your home. Even if it is as simple as when someone comments about how well trained your dog is. You can tell them that it is a pet owners duty to train because in the end it makes the whole house happier when you have a well trained k9 member. If time allows...explain the effort and in some cases the money it cost to get there . it helps...trust me.

Aww. :wub:That's so great that you got to witness your efforts having an effect on someone! I bet you were grinning from ear to ear. Stories like that is exactly why when I see or hear someone say things like "adopt don't shop" or I run across any other instance where I can take the time to help the person at least see another perspective, I take that time. If I can change the opinion of 1 out of 5 people, it's worth it.

One small step at a time..and you are so right that we have to show people, in order to keep pets out of shelters, we need to start going to the source! That starts before bringing in a life into your home. I always speak out to my friends and family to support responsible breeders. Occasionally, strangers too. I already see results in my small circle - my parents have listened to personal stories I share with them on researching breeders and the importance of socializing. Even though I offered to help, they showed that they listened and selected a breeder that does the necessary health tests for their breed and is there for the life of the puppy. Things to ensure if anything ever happened, the pup wouldn't see a shelter. Now, there is a ripple effect and my grandparents are asking questions to prepare themselves when the time comes for them to get another dog, which is really awesome to me, as their current dog was from some run of the mill breeder. They want to be sure they do things right this time and support responsible breeders...so, education... it does work!

Like the person in the article, it's sad that my Mom has to and is already preparing herself for questioning on why she purchased from a breeder. :shakinghead: It's unfair to her and unfair to Jesse (RIP) who we did rescue. You cannot blame her for the mess that OTHERS made and you cannot blame her for choosing a breeder responsibly! The last thing she wants is to support a breeder that has no care for what happens to their dogs, and that shows in the time she spent in doing her research.

Aww. :wub:That's so great that you got to witness your efforts having an effect on someone! I bet you were grinning from ear to ear.

Thanks!...and yes it was a proud moment for me. Drake and Greta are becoming very well known in my neck of the woods. We have been out several times where someone recognized them or at least knew who they were from other people.

......kinda cool owning celebrities.:)

Watch out Paint you will have to get a body guard to guard your guard dogs as they become FAMOUS!!!

Rits that is part of what is so darn maddening - when did it become anyone else's business what you do with your life and your pets???

He went about trying to find homes for these dogs,joined a couple of Doberman forums (including this one)to try to find good homes.
He was shunned,labeled a byb and treated horribly.
This disappoints me if it happened here. Of course we do not condone BYBers, but if someone has an accident and they do happen, no one should be shunned for trying to do the right thing and not just dump them any old place.

This disappoints me if it happened here. Of course we do not condone BYBers, but if someone has an accident and they do happen, no one should be shunned for trying to do the right thing and not just dump them any old place.
Jan,this took place before I was even a member here.I asked if he was sure it was here and not,well,you know;)
He said this place was bad,that place was far worse.

Hi I know this is an oldish thread but I read the article and I don't want to start a war etc but did you know that a lot of brachycephalic dogs (dogs with squishy faces) have serious health issues and that the person in this article was adopting this type of dog (pugs and Bostons). It must be noted that the problem itself lies in pedigree/pure bred brachycephalic dogs and in fact the modern show dog has a lot to answer for when it comes to the deteriorating health of almost all dog breeds. I don't want to sound like a member of PETA but since we all love dogs we need to be realistic here, most pedigree dogs are bred for looks and the cosmetic appearance of the pedigree dog takes preference over the health of the animal. A lot of so called "responsible" breeders don't even understand the genetic fire pool they are playing with when it comes to breeding dogs and how by culling certain pups or breeding out certain genes they shrink the pool further and further. To be fair we all know that Dobe's have a list of genetic disorders. Here is a link to a fascinating documentary http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/

There are a lot of purebred dogs in shelters around the world because somewhere along the line greedy people cottoned on to the fact that there was "a quick buck" to be made out of popular dog breeds hence puppy mills, a lot of the surplus dogs from these puppy mills land up in the shelters, too old for the pet stores or too unhealthy. Dogs have also become fashion items and status symbols for many stupid people that don't get it. You will see how as a breed falls out of fashion the shelters are flooded with that specific dog. The worst for me was the fashion of owning huskies as thats not an easy dog to own by anyones standards. The other common dog you will see in a shelter is a dog of 6 months to 1.5 years when they just aren't that cute anymore and really destructive, then its out with puppy, please don't think people aren't capable of this kind of thinking because they most definitely are.

I know some of you will be aware that for many breeds now you get what they call show lines and working lines. To me thats very sad that a dog thats capable and able to preform its job may not be shown in the ring.

I think all dogs are dogs whether purebred, hybrid, crossbred or mutts, I hate pedigree snobbery. I have to be honest here and say we have had only one extremely expensive dog from an outstanding breeder in the family, a Weimaraner, that looked like she was made of pewter. She was bought in the 80's and she lived till she was 15. After her every single one of our dogs have been rescues (13 in total we are a dog obsessed family) and in my limited case study I would have to say the hybrids and mutts are healthier.

I love dogs, I love Dobermanns and Chihuahuas in particular but I am not blind to what the kennel clubs are doing to many of the breeds with ridiculous aesthetic ideals that make no sense. All dog breeds started out as a mix of a few other breeds.

I find this blog very informative too http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com

No argument he came from less than desirable breeding practices

Gel you answered your own question -

I know some of you will be aware that for many breeds now you get what they call show lines and working lines. To me thats very sad that a dog thats capable and able to preform its job may not be shown in the ring.

That is not an uncommon misconception for anyone who has never shown, have a solid understanding of conformation and working. A good working line dog is bred correctly structure wise will also succeed in either arena.

I have to be honest here and say we have had only one extremely expensive dog from an outstanding breeder in the family, a Weimaraner, that looked like she was made of pewter. She was bought in the 80's and she lived till she was 15. After her every single one of our dogs have been rescues (13 in total we are a dog obsessed family) and in my limited case study I would have to say the hybrids and mutts are healthier

Ok if I follow this good weim from good breeder lived 15 years - in 30 years 13 shelter dogs - assuming you had 2 dogs at a time that lived a minimum of 10 years (which you think is good) that would equate to 6 to 8 dogs - over that time period. What happened if they are actually healthier???? Just curious.There are no health records kept on mutts - no way to trace family history so really know one knows exactly how healthy or not they are.

Pedigreed dogs exposed was a BIG AR propaganda again to slam the dog fancy. For those not interested in the purebred dog world then mutts make great pets. For those who love the challenge of showing, training and working their dogs then only a purebred will do.

This was likely a witch hunt perpetrated by Gail a BYB who doesn't like competition and her cronies. I'm sure we got that entire group when we banned those 20 to 30 members in a single day. I'm sure it was that group of haters

Back