• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Desoto Has Began To Act Out Since Wife Brought A New Puppy Home

Wingzero54

I need some advice from you guys. So recently Desoto has began to act out since wife brought a new puppy home. He's been peeing and pooping all over the house. Whines cries and howls when we put him in his cage for bed time. I give him alot of attention but still acts like a 3 year old lol so please guys help me out

I need some advice from you guys. So recently Desoto has began to act out since wife brought a new puppy home. He's been peeing and pooping all over the house. Whines cries and howls when we put him in his cage for bed time. I give him alot of attention but still acts like a 3 year old lol so please guys help me out
Are you giving him attention right after he cries and howls?
If so stop immediately.He see's the attention as reward for his actions.
Do some searches for NILF dog training methods.It will go a long way in getting Desoto and the newer pup in line.

Four months is awfully young to bring home a second puppy, but you are where you are. You will need to be diligent in making sure you have both separate time and time spent together with both puppies. You want them to bond more to you than to each other.

I agree with the NILIF method as I have used it successfully four times now. He might be regressing due to the change in the addition of another dog. Was his potty training going well until the new dog was brought home? You're going to have to revert back to taking him out more frequently and not allowing him to roam free unsupervised (he shouldn't be allowed to at 4 mos anyway).

As far as the kennel goes, ignore him if he's squealing. As long as he's fed, has pottied and is otherwise cared for there is no reason to pay him attention when he's howling. If you pay him one ounce of attention (even telling him no or to be quiet) will give him the attention he's craving and encourage him to continue to act out. Have you tried any special toys in his kennel? Frozen peanut butter kongs are a godsend. Making his kennel fun might help him be more content in it.

I agree, lots of one on one time with him is very important now. I would take him completely out of the picture with the new pup several times per day so he can focus on you and you alone. It will also give both of you the important bonding time together at this age.

What kind of pup did your wife get?

4 months is way too young to bring home another puppy. Unless you are taking the complete responsiblity for Dakota and your wife takes complete responsibility with the other puppy... Now you have double trouble as neither puppy is trained and it is not uncommon for the older one to revert back to old habits (potting in the house) due to the stress and displacement by the other puppy. 18 months is a far better time to introduce a new puppy as the first one will be trained by then and more solid.

Both puppies need to be trained alone. They both need to be enrolled in training classes, they both need to go out socializing without the other puppy, otherwise they become very co-dependent on each other and do not bond as well with the humans. They both need to go on walks without the other.......Now you have a puppy (baby) who is unsure and feeling insecure as his whole world has been turned upside down before he got completely settled. Also how you introduced them can be a big contributing factor. He now feels insecure and scared because he is not mentally mature enough to handle this situation.

It is not just about playing with him. It is about training him by himself and building his confidence. If you get frustrated then you make it even worse for him. With puppies (babies) patience is the key and at this point he has been set up for failure unless you proceed with great care. It is not his fault. So take a deep breath and get busy - enroll in training classes for both. Make everything positive. Create activities that challenge him - tracking - hide and seek - nose work - teach him tricks - Anything you can think of to increase mental stimulation, build confidence and build his confidence... make the time with him alone count

It's really hard to have 2 puppies in the same house. I'd never try it myself ;) Like Dobs4ever said, the puppies will have to be trained separately. Since there are two humans and two puppies, you should probably each take responsibility for the care and training of your own puppies. Of course the puppies can play together, but they each need someone to train with. What is the breed of the new puppy?

Back